Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 7:40:14 PM EDT
I live in a single story ranch style home on a slab foundation. I am doubling the size of two adjacent bathrooms, of which the outer 6' will be new foundation (pushing out the outside sidewall of the home).

1) Each bathroom will be ~160 sqft.
2) I know I can place the drains and waterlines where I want within the new foundation.
2) I know I can run the existing waterlines coming out of the foundation into the walls and ceiling to route them where needed.
3) Some existing drain locations might be accomodated for within the new floor plan.

PROBELM!!!! ????
What are my options for placing drains where I really want them in the existing foundation.

1) Tunneling under the slab and drilling down through to meet the tunnel?
2) Slicing sections to accomodate the drain pipes?
3) Up to 7 drains to be relocated between the two bathrooms
4) What are my constraints?

Before I move on with my floor plans, I would like to learn what can be done from a construction standpoint.

Trivial info..
Bathroom ~ 10.0" x 16" (6' of the 15' will be new foundation) , the other more square.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Just the day before yesterdy I had a drain moved in a slab.  Cut the slab and place the drains where you want them, then concrete the Humpty Dumpty back together again.  It's only money and time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:55:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool. My worry was at what point the integrity of the slab was compromised.

I do not plan to have a checker board, but I plan to have more than one cut of minimal size.

Looks like I will continue with placing what I want where with the assumption that the reloaction/ placement of the drains is feasible.

Of course, once the layout/ plans are complete the true test will be the reply of the potential contractor(s) they are presented to.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Does your slab have tensioning wires in it?  Those are nasty if you hit one while cutting.

I recently expanded my basement bathroom to include a walk-in shower, it was quite an adventure cutting into the slab due to the mess the saw made.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure if it is a post tension slab. It was built in '72. I know all of the all of the newer ones around here are. Post 1990 that I know of, maybe older. Not sure.

Mine, however, I do not know. I will need to expose one or two of the sides of the slab to see.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top