Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2007 9:17:56 PM EDT
We live in a 108 year old historic home in middle Tennessee. I started remodeling last Fall and I finally got around to replanking the front porch. It was originally cedar, but had lots of wear and tear. Even a couple of missing planks. A cabinet maker buddy of mine suggested a Brazilian hardwwod called Ipe (ee-pay.)

The wood is absolutely beautiful! It's super dense, like Teak and weathers very well outdoors. Harder than Oak, as far as I can tell.

I got it in 1" X 6" with a radius edge.

We ran it through a table saw and then put a tongue and groove on each board with a table mounted Bosch router.

I'm nearly finished. Should be done tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with Ipe for other uses.

So far I really love the way it looks., and I haven't even sanded or screened it yet.

Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Notice the base of the old columns? Those are also being replaced? Detailed pics coming on that as well.

Also the funky steps (yes they are painted to look like brick!) will be redone as well...does it ever end!?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#3]
How are going to "finish" it ?   And does it darken in the sun ?   We were going to use
Tigerwood (?) on the interior floors of a place we're building.  NO WAY after someone left a piece of craft paper down as a runner for a week or two in another home. The floor was a very noticeably lighter shade where it had been covered.  Anything "exotic" makes me ask that question now.   The Ipe IS  very nice, though.  Is it just the pics, or does it look a bit like bleached teak?

Stay safe
Link Posted: 8/3/2007 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a product on Ipdepot.com called "Messmer's Deck Oil for Ipe." Ipe will "grey" in the weather like Teak, so it needs to be U.V protected.

I don't have any experience with Tiger Wood (not the golfer), but it sounds nice!

Ipe is a little lighter in shade than teak, but more colorful, with shades ranging from dark wine to orange.

One thing really odd about Ipe is the color of the saw dust from it. It's a neon yellow. I'll take a pic tomorrow of the underside of my router. It's caked with a radioactive looking yellow dust.

More pics to follow.

Link Posted: 8/4/2007 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice looking wood.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is the underisde of my router with the yellow dust. I've never seen sawdust like this before. The pic doesn't do it justice. It actually looks like powdered sulphur.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Here it is sanded with #40 and screened with #150.

Wood detail:

Haven't put the wood sealer/protectant on yet. Headed to Lowes right now.

more pics to follow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top