Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 2:59:10 PM EDT
My kitchen sink is on a 50gallon septic system, and is backing up/slow drain. When the dishwasher runs it backs into the sink till the slow drain lets it go down. I you turn the sink on more than 15 seconds it backs up. Previous owners had a garbage disposal on the sink, I removed and use a strainer - the idea is nothing down the drain other than small particles that come off plates and thru the strainer of the sink/dishwasher.

Other bathrooms are on a 1000gallon system, drains into the front yard. No issues with this.

Had the systems inspected Feb 2018 when we bought the place, both were at "appropriate levels".

Map of tanks below. Red is bathroom 1k tank, blue is smaller kitchen sink:

I watched the pipe that goes from the house to the ground, it filled up and bubbled out with the cap removed with the water running. I tried to snake it, but my toilet snake is not long enough to do anything.

Time to get this kitchen sink tank pumped?? It would make sense to pump the big one too, right?

Sink backing up:

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to get this kitchen sink tank pumped?? It would make sense to pump the big one too, right?
View Quote

OP, if there's still movement in your drain, put some enzymatic drain cleaner/septic tank maintainer in it. This stuff has germs and a few non-corrosive chemicals to promote the proper native life forms that should be living in your septic system.

Sort of like using probiotics for diarrhea.

eta

I've used it with good effect before. My current drain problems lie somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP, if there's still movement in your drain, put some enzymatic drain cleaner/septic tank maintainer in it. This stuff has germs and a few non-corrosive chemicals to promote the proper native life forms that should be living in your septic system.

Sort of like using probiotics for diarrhea.

eta

I've used it with good effect before. My current drain problems lie somewhere else.
View Quote

It defiantly has 'movement;, it will drain eventually.

Any brands you suggest?

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Should probably get it pumped. Tanks still collect minerals and non-degradable contents. I've heard you should get it pumped every 2 years but don't know anyone that does it that often.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:21:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It defiantly has 'movement;, it will drain eventually.

Any brands you suggest?

View Quote

I can't remember the one I used,  it was several years ago. ACE Hardware or most any good hardware store should have it.

Also, SigOwner's idea was a good one. Mine was based on the idea that things have slowed down because the natural fauna in the system may have died; gunk isn't getting digested as it should.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Take a shit and flush it 3 times in a row. See what happens...
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Take a shit and flush it 3 times in a row. See what happens...
View Quote

Trust me, that one is good to go
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have access to the smaller tank in the yard? I would open it up and check the flow into it.

Get both pumped as well if you dont know the last time it was done.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Trust me, that one is good to go
View Quote

That may be true but if a truck is coming to pump the small one get the big one pumped too!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Is the 50 gallon system a stand alone?  Or does it eventually tie into your big tank?? I am guessing no based on your post, but I am curious.  Never heard of a 50 gallon septic for a kitchen sink.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the 50 gallon system a stand alone?  Or does it eventually tie into your big tank?? I am guessing no based on your post, but I am curious.  Never heard of a 50 gallon septic for a kitchen sink.
View Quote

It is stand alone from what the septic inspector guy said. It would need a lift pump to get to the main tank...

House built 1963.

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is stand alone from what the septic inspector guy said. It would need a lift pump to get to the main tank...

House built 1963.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

House built 1963.

Now that I think about it I think it could go to the big one if it was ran under the slab.... I will dig down below where the pipe goes into the ground tonight and see if I can see a direction it is headed....

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neither had I until this week. A plumber came out to look at my system, said the sink drain took off at a 45 degree angle AWAY from the rest of the sewer system. He said it likely went into a leach field in the back yard... where there are large maple and black locust stumps. The rest of the house dumps into the city sewer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Update!!!

Pump folks came out to pump both.

Plot twist!

There is no small tank, the line actually DOES go to the big tank! The line is  clogged, thinking roots.

Plumber comes out, snakes it, it was grease. Said they saw a bunch, including a chunk the size of a stick of butter

All good now! Thanks to all!

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#14]
For that 500 Gal tank you're probably overdue even without poo going in there.  Also, because you're not getting the normal bacteria from poo, you may have some grease/sludge or other issues going on.  That's an odd septic setup, and an odd lot to have septic to begin with.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: You beat me to it OP.  Good call and glad you got it figured out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top