Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2021 4:34:41 AM EDT
So my 1963 bathtub is needing replacement. What do I need to know about what to replace it with? Cast Iron is still the best or a synthetic tub?

I would be down to doing the work myself. However I have a sick wife and between working and taking care of her and the house I'm not able to spend the time so the weight of cast iron will be on someone else.

House is a single story raised foundation with a 1 1/2"  tongue and groove floor.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I replaced a 1 piece shower/tub last year with a poly tub and shower walls from HD.  If you go with poly or fiberglass, set the tub in a wide bed of mortar.   Even though it has a base on the tub, it is not sturdy enough. When we were putting it in, I  got in it and moved around some, and it creaked and popped quite a bit.  So we pulled it and put down mortar. Solid as a rock across the entire bottom.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am still a fan of cast iron, heavy as hell, but they last a long time.

I put them in without help most times, pain it the butt, but doable.

Fiberglass isn't bad, but given equal treatment/care, cast iron will outlast by far
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
We just did a new tub and went freestanding insulated acrylic... hopefully we won’t regret it.  Shrug
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We just did a new tub and went freestanding insulated acrylic... hopefully we won’t regret it.  Shrug
View Quote

The acrylic is very soft.

Almost any scrubbing action during cleaning will produce scratches in the surface
Stick with chemical for cleaning, and nothing abrasive.

Not even a kitchen scrub pad with a sponge on the other side.

More expensive 'name brand' spray cleaners would be worth the price.
Spray it on, let it sit, wipe with a cloth.

If it needs more cleaning, repeat.
DO NOT SCRUB back and forth on a spot.

Even baking soda will scratch acrylic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top