Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 11:42:36 PM EDT
I finally bought a belt sander WOO HOO!

Had I thought about it ahead of time I would have consulted ARF first, but I was pissed at Ebay and wanted to reward off of Amazon, so I decided to upgrade my sander to make quicker work out of my rustic live edge board projects .

Simple and a heavy brute beast, I’m actually kind of afraid of it, thing would tear off body parts if they get between the sander and the wood.

Neat thing is it is made in Japan, although some are made in the UK as well.

Attachment Attached File

I bought the legs and put it into service this week.  It turned out pretty good, we like it.  I will add a lower shelf in the future
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a man's sander, right there.

Have you zip-tied the trigger and taken it racing yet?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:02:28 AM EDT
[#2]
enjoy!  

i love getting new tools.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Want to know more about the board.

I did a table using old 2x4s (made back when that was an accurate description) and since I suck at gluing, I had to get a hand planer to get them flat. That was scary to use. Then the orbital sander for weeks afterwards since I also suck at making things flat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Board is some oak i bought off a guy who is building a log cabin, it was in his scrap pile.

Its gong to be a rustic coffee table, so my flatness standard will be fairly lenient!

Question:  do I start the sander above the wood then bring it to the wood, or start it flat on the wood?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a man's sander, right there.

Have you zip-tied the trigger and taken it racing yet?
View Quote

Ill race it after i get familiar with it, probably next year.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice...

want to make the belts last 20X? Buy one of these. I've used these for over 30 years and they work.

Belt Cleaning Stick

Amazon, HD, Lowes, most hardware stores.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Years ago I put many hours on a similar Makita Belt sander. Throw the cord over your shoulder and go to work. When you pull the plug out of the extension cord remember to release the throttle lock before plugging it back in.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:37:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Congratulations OP. Makita still makes some tools in Japan, the older and/or more specialized stuff.

Use good belts, like Zirconia Alumina or Ceramic Alumina and the cleaning stick linked above. Aluminum Oxide belts don't cut very well.

I would have recommended a forced rotation (or dual action) sander. As or even more aggressive as a belt sander but smoother finish, more versatile, and easier to control. Either way you got a great tool. I'm a Makita and Bosch guy.

Sander
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!

Do I start the sander and bring it to the wood, or lay it flat on the wood and start it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I impulse bought one of those beasts a few years ago.  I start it on the wood.  The dust hood works well.  If you're getting a ton of dust, it could be clogged internally.  That's the only quirk I've noticed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks!

Do I start the sander and bring it to the wood, or lay it flat on the wood and start it?
View Quote

Start on the workpiece and take off workpiece then turn off. More controllable and less likely to gouge that way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried it out on our next project, a coffee table.

I did the bottom side first as practice and actually shot the slab off my sawhorses like in Skibanes GIF in his post.

I also got massive shocks when running it with my shop vac attached to the discharge, so I just used the little pouch that comes with it and worked great.

This thing is way faster and removes more material than any sander I have used before.  If you make a groove, its easy to just remove more material!

I actually read the two page manual, start off the wood then apply powered sander to the wood.

Some pics:
This is the practice side with a piece on top of what it looked like before sanding...
Attachment Attached File

We decided to go with the other side, we liked the figure and wormwood look.  Sandwd with one coat of oil based poly:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Looking good OP.

Yeah, that shock from the sander with a vacuum hooked up is annoying as fuck. Happens to me all the time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I also got massive shocks when running it with my shop vac attached to the discharge
View Quote

Next Project: Belt Sander Van der Graaf Generator

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top