Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2021 11:21:28 PM EDT
I have what I thought should be an easy task, but it seems not so much.  
Maybe I'm over thinking things or just missing something.

I have an existing old fashioned incandescent outside light that I'd like to convert to use an LED RGB bulb.
I want it to function as follows:

- Day time - normally off, but optionally a means to turn it on full white

- Night time - normally set to a dim blue color, but with a wall switch to turn it on full white when desired. When the wall switch is turned off the bulb should return to dim blue.

I looked at various hubs, apps, etc and it's unclear if this can be done.  One issue I have is frequent power interruptions. I assume any light that is configured in the cloud would be unaffected by outages and retain the desired settings.  But again I really don't understand what's possible/available here.  Any help appreciated.

ETA:  I forgot to mention, I don't want to use my cell phone to control the light.  I don't mind using it to initially configure hub settings etc, but I want a physical wall switch to turn the light on full white at night when desired.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd look to see if there's a SONOS or Shelly Cloud relay you can use.  The Shelly i3 might work....but not knowing how that light works I can't say for certain.  The basic relays might work as well, but again I'd need to know how the bulb triggers the light changes.  This might even be something where buying a "smart" bulb may be the best option.  

Though I gotta ask...why blue at night?  Seen a few homes with a blue porch light and thought it was just laziness because of the "turn the city blue" thing after a local cop was killed during a routine traffic stop and they never bothered to change it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Paralysis by analysis.
Even you spend more time considering
solutions before starting on one you may
have other problems.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The closest thing to a "wall switch" to control the RGB function of a screw in bulb is going to be a small remote control stuck to the wall.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Phillips hue. Cry once , buy once. Shit just works.

I have used almost every RGBW bulb and strip there is.

Get the HUE bulbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top