Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2017 1:01:35 PM EDT
OK so the other day I was out in the driveway doing some work. My son came out, and locked us out nobody home.

So I tried the old credit card trick and AW SHIT it worked...This now has me looking for solutions due to being a big issue...

Current entry doors have the following. locking door knob, Dead bolt and door jamb armor plate. The armor plate has the 3.5-4" screws and spreads the latch/bolt load over about 3 ft vertically. All hinge to frame bolts replaced with longer screws into frame work of wall.

Now since my kids don't understand to use the deadbolt, I need to secure things against using the card trick.

any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
We use electronic lock with code that slides a locking bolt. Once its locked, you can't move it with a credit card. Adding a beefier lock plate to the door frame might also get rid of the room needed to use a credit card.

Can't be locked out of a door if you know a code though... ours only requires a battery change about once every 18 months. So once a year, I swap it. Extreme temps and weather not a problem. Pretty simple.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You're looking to strengthen/fortify your entry door?  Are you forgetting about all of the other big holes in your house?  You know, the square ones, with glassy-looking stuff in them that's fragile and breaks real easily?

You're never going to stop someone who truly wants in to your house.  Whether they have a $20 sledge hammer from Home Depot or just a big rock.

No point in strengthening the front door, it'll just cause more damage when someone does break it down.  And yes, I am serious.

Locks keep honest people out.  Nothing more.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel security door. You should pick a bump proof lock for this. 

If you have an outbuilding, hide a key in there.  Hang it on a nail. They can be hard to find, even when you know it is there.  Outbuilding should have a combo padlock. 

My door from the garage to the house is a pushbutton combo lock with a key hidden somewhere.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
As for the Windows etc. You are absolutely correct easy as one two three. But it will make a lot of noise, the door lock card took less than 10 seconds and SILENT...
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As for the Windows etc. You are absolutely correct easy as one two three. But it will make a lot of noise, the door lock card took less than 10 seconds and SILENT...
View Quote

I am not even good at bump key, but I can get most locks faster than that with a standard key. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Now on the electronic locks with key pad. Can they be hacked/altered to gain entry easily?
As in via a phone or Bluetooth, is there a backup for the power source.

I do like the idea of the electronic key pad type, but don't know if they are easy to manipulate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the sclange locks that lock automatically after 30 seconds and I got door armor that goes on the hinges and door jam. Going to take a lot of noise and time to get into it. Not completely secure but it's about what you can do without a. Insanely expensive set up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
It'll beep when the batteries are low.

As for if it can be hacked... what can't these days. There is a key backup in case it dies
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
pic of doors would help
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in michigan... my electronic schlage lock has taken 50+ MPH winds.. driving rain.. blizzards.. deep freezes.. and days of baking in the sun all summer, with no hick ups. I change the battery once a year (not needed.. its never died).. and each person can have their own code, or just create one code. Key back up. heavy duty lock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Adjust your striker plate.  If the catch on the door closes correctly the credit card won't work.  The little square part of the latch should not go in the catch hole in the striker plate.  If it is on the jamb still it will keep the catch from opening with a credit card.  You will have to turn knob to retract bolt catch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top