Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2017 11:00:31 AM EDT
I'm interested in your thoughts on what gloves you wear for sawing.   I have never put much thought into it but unsure if I should have something that provides more protection than the Mechanix Wear I usually have on.

Thanks in advance

J
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never worn gloves, just a personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear something with a snug fit.  You don't want a floppy glove getting pulled into the chain and I don't like getting my hands scratched up or cut on what I am cutting.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Still makes a nice glove for anti-vibration. If it's not too hot, they do an okay job at making it more comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Smooth cowhide treated with something like Urad or Black Rock to make them supple but tacky.

Smooth fabric gloves never.

Make sure your face isn't in line with the blade as much as possible and that your forearm is positioned to make the brake work as good as possible in case of kick back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Ironclad makes the best gloves I've ever worn. They'll have a product for you, they're pretty much the Redwing on gloves, but better. Texas company, IIRC, they'll answer any questions you have if you give em a call, super friendly.

These are the only gloves I've ever used where they actually fit. You can still generally use your fingertips. I found these things maybe ten years ago and I haven't bought another companies gloves since.

Edited: I had the names all jacked up. Ive use Heavy Utility as a general go-to glove for years.

I just got these new gloves a few months ago. They're amazing for working firewood, great impact resistance and protection. They're a little hot this time of year, though.

Lifetime warranty, too, if you email them a picture and a story about their life.

Heavy Utility are the second pic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you looking specifically for cut protection from the chain?  Or just gloves that are going to resist the pokies and pricklies?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking specifically for cut protection from the chain?  Or just gloves that are going to resist the pokies and pricklies?
View Quote
I guess more for the "pokies and pricklies"........  I am pretty experienced and generally safe minded on the saw but wanted to see what the hive was wearing.  Great comments and I will check into some of these gloves.....
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I guess more for the "pokies and pricklies"........  I am pretty experienced and generally safe minded on the saw but wanted to see what the hive was wearing.  Great comments and I will check into some of these gloves.....
View Quote
Costco leather gloves fit my hand really well and are decent quality. Briars and splinters really love a thing woven.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a pair of Ranchworx Ironclad gloves that I use for everything.  If I were looking for a pair of all leather gloves I would look for goatskin.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Bitch mittens.

Be a man and get your hands worn in, pussy
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Gloves, glasses, hard hat, Kevlar chaps, leather boots.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hearing protection.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hearing protection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hearing protection.
. Thanks I forgot that.  I use the peltor radio head phones.  I have treated many a saw injury.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I wear FD Extrication Gloves.  They have taken a few hits and held up pretty well.  I heat my house with a water stove and cut about 22 long bed pickup truck loads a year.  A pair of these usually last me about 2 years. I usually do more damage to them splitting wood, than with the chainsaw.

These are the ones I wear.  Shelby Extrication Gloves
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Mechanix that you're already wearing. I wore the Originals today while cutting some small limbs.

Edit: after seeing the post above me I do remember Shelby making nice gloves also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Wear whatever you want. All they will do is prevent blisters and protect from debris. The only real fear is the chain breaking and I've never seen that happen.

If your hand contacts a running saw a glove will not help and could pull you into it. Cheap real leather gloves are fine, big floppy split leather gloves are probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Costco leather gloves fit my hand really well and are decent quality. Briars and splinters really love a thing woven.
View Quote
I second these, usually its like 3 pairs for 20 or 30, I believe deerskin leather ? wranglerstar in his earlier non rant videos did a review on them on YT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top