Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 12:19:39 AM EDT
My cheap Chinese soft close cabinet hinges have mostly failed. The brittle plastic insert in the failed hinges have grenaded, which lets the doors hang slightly ajar.
I spent some time getting educated on what I needed and ordered one to test for fit/function.
They are Grass brand, made in USA, 1/2" overlay, soft close, 45mm, screw on mount with 3 way adjustment. The selection fits as a direct placement, which means no drilling new screw pilot holes, so I ordered enough to replace them all now.
I found them at woodworkerexpress.com. $2.10 each.
Lots of other websites had the same or comparable hinges for LOTS more money. I have no interest in the company other than as a customer.  
They have a ton of all sorts of other products too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#1]
45mm? Must be china.  My hidden hinge jig is 35mm so I use blum hinges.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
They have a Blum that would have worked but it's 45mm also.
http://www.woodworkerexpress.com/Integrated-Soft-Close-Hinges-105degree-COMPACT-BLUMOTION-38N-Soft-Close-Hinges-For-5-16-to-3-4-Overlays-Overlay-1-2.html

45 mm seems to be the spacing on the mounting screws, correct?
Is the 35 mm the diameter of the mortise?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Could you post a link, or explain how you learned about the hinges? I wouldn't mind replacing my kitchen cabinet hinges with soft close. the previous homeowners remodeled the kitchen in Aug. 2014 and used off-the-shelf Home Depot cheapo cabinets.

I'm not even sure the door panels are heavy enough to close a soft close hinge. Does that matter? Does a soft close hinge pull itself shut once it hits the soft close point?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does a soft close hinge pull itself shut once it hits the soft close point?
View Quote

From my experience, yes, the soft-close pulls itself shut once it hits that point.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could you post a link, or explain how you learned about the hinges? I wouldn't mind replacing my kitchen cabinet hinges with soft close. the previous homeowners remodeled the kitchen in Aug. 2014 and used off-the-shelf Home Depot cheapo cabinets.

I'm not even sure the door panels are heavy enough to close a soft close hinge. Does that matter? Does a soft close hinge pull itself shut once it hits the soft close point?
View Quote

I googled "cabinet hinge glossary." I think Rockler.com was the first hit and had good info. I looked at another site also. I saw hinges described with different overlay sizes and googled cabinet hinge overlay and found info on measuring that also.
Yes. The hinge closes itself. The failed ones were a spring action and the new ones are like a hydraulic action. Not sure how they work, but when the door is about 5 inches from closed, the door will slowly draw itself shut if you let go of it.
I replaced the test hinge on a 16x34 door that had 2 failed hinges. It closes the door shut fine by itself, so when I get the next order and replace the other bad hinge, it should be even better.
FWIW I have framed cabinets with full overlay doors and fully concealed hinges (not visible when the door is closed.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top