Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2016 2:10:38 PM EDT
So my house was built in 1988, has Andersen casement windows. Well some of them are getting moisture on the inside of the glass while cold outside. I am figuring this is a sign of the gas between the glass has leaked losing its so said insulation from the temps.

SO I am thinking of going to double hung windows , something in a low E argon filled vinyl window. The old windows are nice due to being large and provide for a good view outside. But they are hinged on the left and right side and open from the center outward.

Walls are 2x6 and rough opening is about 48x48, I'm sure its a little bigger since I did not open up the walls to look. I only measured the outside dimensions of the window with no trim.

Now, not knowing anything about windows or barnds, what does the pro's here suggest? Andersen, Pella, Jen-weld or someone else? Now one other factor, I do not want ONE big 48x48 window, but prefer to have 2 windows iin the same opening. Is it better to have them made as a double one piece unit or do two individual windows and add a center piece for mounting? I do not have central AC, so I use window units for the summer.

The whole project seems it would be simple enough to do (Now I just Jinxed myself) and can do with my son. I am figuring set circle saw depth to cut siding (T111 and Cedar) cut About 1 1/2 inch to expose the original window nail strip. Remove window , install new unit center and shim to make level and straight. Use some sort of insulation to fill around window and to fill gap from the cutout. Stain and seal some 1x4 to make trim around the outside and done. Go inside and trim out the opening as well And done.

Snert
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for inserts/replacements, I went with Sunrise since it was recommended here a few years back.  Couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Simonton windows and West windows are what I would probably buy for myself.  The fogging on the inside means the argon gas is gone.  Simonton has free lifetime sash replacement if they lose gas.  I am not sure about West on warranty.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks and I will look them up and research them.
Ironically in the mail yesterday there was a flyer for Andersen Windows..
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks and I will look them up and research them.
Ironically in the mail yesterday there was a flyer for Andersen Windows..
View Quote

Andersen is top notch. We have their 100 Series sliders.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Just don't go bottom dollar and be sure the take your time and review the options for the specific window you go with (screen type, sill type, locks, other features etc). What you go with should depend on your long term plans.

We bought our house last year and we plan to be here for 5-8 years so we went "middle of the road", with Pella 250's. Good bang for the buck in my opinion, there are better and worse windows out there but we had a 10% off Lowes coupon, and they were offering 25% off custom ordered Pella Windows, so it was a no brainier for us. 19 doule hung windows, and one bay window, $3100. LowE Argon, annealed (tinted) double glassed, triple glass on the bay, shatterproof over the deck etc.

I probably spent $3300 on the whole project, self installed, replaced first floor sills, and about 8 cans of great stuff (window & door).

As for your double wide question, Id suggest having them made as one unit for ease of installation. I did the same thing for our double wides.

My main piece of advice would be to not rush or feel pressured. There is a LOT to look at with Windows and you don't want to be stuck with something you're not happy with. You aren't just going to be walking into the store and picking up Windows, you're probably going to have to custom order them. The mill work guy at Lowes got to know me on a first name basis because I would often stop the ordering process while I was there, leave, go home and remeasure things or just sleep on option choices. If I wasn't 100% sure about something I wouldn't just guess or pick something, I'd wait and think about it or figure it out and come back later.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Anderson 200/400 or nothing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If you decide to use expanding foam to insulate around the windows after you install them make sure you use the stuff that is designed for windows and doors, not the normal expanding foam.  Use the normal stuff and you are in for a world of hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top