Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2015 2:49:31 PM EDT
alright, not a plumber by any stretch of the imagination.  

so I need to replace my fuel rails (4.6 ford v8) and got this kit.  the kit is pretty straightforward except for the fuel input fitting.

the piece I am talking about is the elbow on the bottom right.  I have it tight and it is pretty much exactly 180 degrees opposite of the shown orientation.  I need it to point outboard, but it is pointing inboard.  I am afraid to go any tighter for fear of stripping the threads.  both parts are aluminum.  Can this NPT joint be soldered or sweated or welded?  Is it acceptable to leave it loose but in the correct orientation and just threadseal the shit out of it?  will it work to fill the threads with epoxy or JB weld and leave the fitting pointing in the correct orientation and let it set up?

any ideas?  I would rather not weld it, but if thats the best way to do it, I will send it to the welder to have it TIG'd up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
All NPT fittings should have some kind of thread sealant. Since these are for a fuel system, don't use Teflon tape. Use a liquid sealant that is rated for fuel use. Something along these lines: http://www.zoro.com/permatex-thread-sealant-250ml-tube-white-56725/i/G1111327/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA

Back the fitting off. Liberally apply the thread sealant and snug it down as far as you can finishing in the orientation that you need. If you have to loosen it at all, then take the fitting all the way out, reapply the sealant and reinstall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top