Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 3:35:21 AM EDT

I do a lot of business paperwork at the beginning of each month, usually while watching TV at night.

A couch isn't the easiest thing for managing the paperwork, files, folders, etc - so I made this rollaway cabinet that can unfold and become a small desk.

It takes less then a minute to set up and take down.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice work but that wouldn't fit in a pocket. Its more of a nesting desk.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That's cool. Did you use plans? Or is that your own design.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's cool. Did you use plans? Or is that your own design.
View Quote

Half and half of each.

I was watching a Youtube video of someone who was making a small cabinet of drawers on wheels.  I added to that plan and made the outer shell that allowed it to be turned into a temporary desk.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very nice!  Excellent work!  
View Quote

I'm going to eventually replace those drawer fronts.

They're painted because I used some scrap MDF to make them.  

I wasn't sure if it would look right or not, and I'm not too excited about it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks nice.  Need to build one for the wife.  

Any reason you didn't use piano hinges and just let it drop to the side?   Wouldn't have the gap and hinges on the top.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks nice.  Need to build one for the wife.  

Any reason you didn't use piano hinges and just let it drop to the side?   Wouldn't have the gap and hinges on the top.
View Quote

Well...

Piano hinge was more expensive.  I'm cheap.

I wasn't worried about the gap.  When I'm using it, it's covered in folders and paperwork.

Also, because it's basically two pieces of furniture, I built it using 1/4" plywood and 1x2" to try to keep it as lightweight as possible.  The desktop is made of 3/4" MDF which makes it top heavy.  If it didn't have some way to connect to the other side, it would tip pretty easy.

ETA:  The hinges were routed, so they sit nearly flush with the desk surface.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top