Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2015 9:00:52 PM EDT
I have an 80s vintage GDO, with dip-switch programmed remotes, and both of the remotes have died.  Any idea as to what I could do to restore remote door opening?  The GDO drive unit itself works fine, and because of the kludgey way it was installed, I don't really want to replace the drive unit until it dies.  The wired pushbutton controller still works.  It's an old Sears unit.

What I'd like to do is find some kind of RF gizmo with a momentary-on output I could parallel into the wired control input.

tia.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
look for an old one on ebay
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just bite the bullet and replace it. You know you are going to have to and it will be cheaper now than down the road.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Still have the remotes?

What is wrong with them?.... Is it possible to clean them up and put them back in service?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have an 80s vintage GDO, with dip-switch programmed remotes, and both of the remotes have died.  Any idea as to what I could do to restore remote door opening?  The GDO drive unit itself works fine, and because of the kludgey way it was installed, I don't really want to replace the drive unit until it dies.  The wired pushbutton controller still works.  It's an old Sears unit.

What I'd like to do is find some kind of RF gizmo with a momentary-on output I could parallel into the wired control input.

tia.
View Quote

Did both remotes stop working at the same time, or one before the other?  If both stopped working at the same time I would be suspicious the problem is on the opener end.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Get an arduino, and wire it to control a relay to control the garage door opener. Then use your phone to open it.

Or bluetooth in a couple ways:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Overhead door locator

See if they have a location near you, had to replace the openers for the big bosses house and the had them in stock.  Not cheap for what they are but much cheaper than a new unit with installation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top