Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 2:44:54 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

We are moving into a new house and the windows on the South side of the house are shot.  Wondering first, how hard is it to replace the old with the new in a 2002 North Texas built house? Second will paying for energy efficient windows help in house built in 2002 with no radiant barrier and blown insulation in the attic? Another question is window replacement something a DIYer can do myself or is it a job left to a pro??

Thanks!

Kirch
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not that hard. I put it off for years because every time I asked someone I got confusing answers.  

I had it in my head that I would need to take out the ENTIRE old window, frame and all.

Basically you remove the old sashes (the glass parts) and any tracks. Then put in the new window (frame and all) into that space (the old frame).
So you now have the old frames with new frames and fancy double pane winders. I used low expansion foam on some of them and just
caulked some. You will of course save big time VS having someone do it for you.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#2]
1) Do NOT buy your windows from the two big box places.

2) Don't be fooled that "Pella" or "Anderson" is the best game in town.  Do some homework.

3) Find a local place window manufacturer who is reputable and find out who they sell to.  Then hunt them down and speak to them.  

4) The window install itself is easy- its the exterior trim work that can be a nightmare depending what your exterior is (siding, brick, wood) and if you have the tools to do what is needed.

Stupid sister bought six Pellas from Big Blue and two years later wondered the $500 each window had moisture in-between the panels.  Pella blamed Big Blue.  Big Blue blamed Pella. After I filed the lawsuit for her, and requested discovery on the manufacturing, I found out Pella has a "special line," aka lower quality, for big Blue and Big Orange windows.  For once the ridiculous laws in NJ were a positive, as she refused to settle and walked away with $6K, half owed by Pella and half Big Blue, double what she paid!  

Her new boyfriend at the time I found a local factory, OKNA who he called about their product.  They agreed and we all went on a Saturday.  Nice Polish family with a decent operation.  They advised who they sell to in our area.  My sister did her windows and I jumped on the boat too.  I paid $300 flat for every double hung, triple glazed with krypton gas window, installed, despite size.  I had vinyl siding and didn't have the machine nor equipment to bend the custom metal flashing and trim.  It was well worth it and four years later I am very happy and notice a significant difference.    

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info, joeyd.

I am having trouble with one thing - the idea that the average "joe" can figure out which shop has a better product seems far fetched.  I mean, how do you do that?  What is the process to discover this?

I bought some Anderson sliding doors and a large window from Home Depot several years ago.  They have been just this side of perfect - well made, easy to install, maintenance-free and no or issues.  

I would suggest that perhaps manufacturers make different levels of quality - buy their best and you could be very happy.

Find a local window and door place that has samples of full-sized doors and windows on display.  Look at and compare the quality of the various brands.  Get prices from several suppliers.  Shop around for the best prices on that brand and EXACT part number.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
We had our windows replaced recently. We are also in North Texas. About 3k for 9 Windows and lifetime warranty. The actual install took about 2hrs and that's with our old 70s house.

I didn't have the time or motivation to do them myself. The neighbor DIY his and paid about $200 per window from Lowes and his do not open.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top