Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 5:45:45 PM EDT
I just installed some recessed lighting in my brother's basement.  One half of it is all open and that's where I installed the lighting.  
The other half has the HVAC ducting and plumbing running the length of it.
I'm not sure what kind of lights to put over there.  It's definitely a work area with bench and projects.
Recessed lighting wouldn't be spaced out evenly and would irritate the CDO (like OCD, but in the right order) in me.

What would you install here?  Just hang a handful of 4' fluorescent lights?
I thought about some track lighting near the middle.

In the future, when the old furnace dies, I hope to get the HVAC ducting run up into the attic to free up the basement a bit more.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Track lighting or surface mounted lights, they also make led fixtures that install in normal junction boxes and they look like can lights, they can fit in tight spots where a normal can won't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Since it's a work area I would use surface mount fluorescents without reflectors since the ceiling is low.

Get T8 bulbs: http://www.amazon.com/Lithonia-Lighting-232-120-GESB/dp/B000JQWKIA/
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Head to Costco if you have one and check out the Feit LED Utility Shop Light for $40.
The 48" unit takes 38 watts, 3,700 lumens at 4,100K rated for 50,000 hours.

A 32watt T8 is giving off a 2,800 lumens at 4,100K and rated for 20,000 hours.  And they are PITA if drop one or lift an item into one and smash them!  

For the same price you can get more light that will last longer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Head to Costco if you have one and check out the Feit LED Utility Shop Light for $40.

A 32watt T8 is giving off a 2,800 lumens at 4,100K and rated for 20,000 hours.  And they are PITA if drop one or lift an item into one and smash them!  

View Quote

I like LEDs and that fixture looks great. But, you're kidding yourself with the 50,000 hour life span. The LEDs may last that long but the electronics that run them will not. Almost 30% of LED bulbs do not even make the 10,000 hour mark, especially cheap ones. Thanks China. Maybe not a deal breaker, but disappointing.

T8 bulbs are $2 each and can be replaced when they fail. Your LED fixture will need to be trashed when it fails.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Install the T-8s between the joists.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I like LEDs and that fixture looks great. But, you're kidding yourself with the 50,000 hour life span. The LEDs may last that long but the electronics that run them will not. Almost 30% of LED bulbs do not even make the 10,000 hour mark, especially cheap ones. Thanks China. Maybe not a deal breaker, but disappointing.

T8 bulbs are $2 each and can be replaced when they fail. Your LED fixture will need to be trashed when it fails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming you don't break a bulb you are fine, but with the new energy efficient t8 bulbs, you will be replacing bulbs a lot faster.   They are rated based upon 3 hours of constant of use every 20 hours is a cycle.   If used in that manner, it will last on average the 10,000 hours.  More on/offs equals decreased life.  More use than 3 hours equals decreased life.  A pair of t8's, made under the required new energy standards is $9 at the box stores.  Can you get the price down, sure if you buy a case and store them.  Most homeowners won't do such for a variety of reasons.  

Feit replaces the entire light if it fails for six years (50,000 hours).  I had one unit fail at my wife's vet practice after about 7,000 constant on and the replacement was delivered next day air.  

If you think t8s will still be sold in five years, you are fooling yourself.   They already got rid of t12's and the 8's are next.  Same reason Philips and GE have stopped design and engineering of their fluorescent line.  Everything is going LED.  

So you can replace your LED fixture in in six years for less than $40 as the price drops lower, or pay for a LED retrofit kit for the current lights.  Six of one half, half dozen of another.   You might as well get more light for less money now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top