Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2014 10:28:04 AM EDT
Basically have two pitches on a roof. I have two options, one is to cut and over lap two panels although the fit won't be great. I was just thinking, what does it take to bend a 3' wide piece of metal roofing material? I was thinking I could make the valley in one sheet and then come down over it with the second piece. It would be a better joint, I believe with no leak potential.

Any ideas? I assume you pros have a machine to do it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
all the metal I have seen for roofing has been corrugated as far as I know there is no way to bend corrugated metal without messing it up. you would be better off IMO to overlap it and put some foam inserts between the 2. if the fit is tight use a good urethane or silicone caulking.

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
We use a brake, but depending on how deep into the piece of metal you need to bend, you can do it with hand tools. I'm assuming you don't have a Wuko, so you can use your workbench, some clamps, and a 2x4. This is assuming its a flat sheet, and not corrugated, which I'm thinking it might be due to the 3' width. If it's corrugated, you're stuck with sticking a flashing below the top roof panel, and above the bottom panel. While not ideal, they make foam closure strips to close off the panel profile.

If you want, send me a pic and I'll sketch you something.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is 100% flat sheet metal you can bend it as others have said. But if it is a ribbed sheet you need to cut it  and butt it up against the next sheet tightly. Make sure you have a decent overlap to secure through both sheets. use the caulk double sided tape to seal the joint.

What brand or style metal roofing are we talking here? Is it stuff that home depot or lowes stocks? or are you using plain old 3 ft wide rolls of metal like the seamless gutter guys start with (well wider).
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We use a brake, but depending on how deep into the piece of metal you need to bend, you can do it with hand tools. I'm assuming you don't have a Wuko, so you can use your workbench, some clamps, and a 2x4. This is assuming its a flat sheet, and not corrugated, which I'm thinking it might be due to the 3' width. If it's corrugated, you're stuck with sticking a flashing below the top roof panel, and above the bottom panel. While not ideal, they make foam closure strips to close off the panel profile.

View Quote

Yeah it is corrugated/ribbed metal.

Home Depot brand.

Really appreciate the advice on the not being able to bend it. It really kind of sucks because that would have been damn clean. Would have been more sucky to figure out a sweet way to bend it, only to ruin it lol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Home Depot brand.

Really appreciate the advice on the not being able to bend it. It really kind of sucks because that would have been damn clean. Would have been more sucky to figure out a sweet way to bend it, only to ruin it lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Home Depot brand.

They make flashing for valleys. Buy the widest you can find especially if one is a steep pitch and the other is fairly flat. A friend had a roof leak from this scenario, water would go under the flater pitch beyond the flashing .
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Put a ridge in the valley flashing to limit under-run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top