Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 2:54:16 PM EDT
I'm about ready to lay down some used, solid oak flooring in my attic bedroom.  I went ahead and bought a flooring nailer since I plan on doing the floors in the rest of the house eventually.  It looks like I can either use T-head or L-head nails and they can be either 1 1/2" or 2".  I'm going to be laying the flooring directly on they plywood sub-floor and nailing into the joists.

So I can't imagine I need longer nails than the 1 1/2". Does the 2" nail give me any benefit?

Should I use the T-head or the L-Head.

Thanks,

Aloxite.

Edit to add-

While I'm here does anyone have a recommendation for a 10" miter saw blade blade to cut the oak flooring?  I'd like to keep the price down if possible.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No reason to nail to the joists, and a decent number of reasons to NOT BOTHER.
T-head have a marginally larger withdrawal strength.
Either is adequate.
Length depends on sub-floor thickness and material.
There is no real advantage (or need) for going through, and many disadvantages.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  It will make the job much easier if I don't need to nail it to the joists.  I don't have the drywall on the knee wall yet so I will be able to use the flooring nailer for everything except face nailing the first row.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top