Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 4:39:22 PM EDT
Suppose I am building a cabinet and I want to put a secret compartment in it.

I want it to be locked but I don't want a key hole visible or anything I want to be able to remotely release the internal lock mechanism.

What would I use to accomplish this?

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
magnets

no really electromagnets, only down side is if the power gets unplugged/cut it'll unlock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea where I could pick up these magical devices?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you know what this thing called "GOOGLE" is for?

The key lock to the hidden compartment is itself hidden behind a false panel that is held in place by magnets.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
They use them for commercial doors (think walmart auto entrance), so I know they are available, but where? I don't know.
I've been thinking of doing this in the living room, if I do I'll wire it to the switch/plug that the builder thought would power a lamp.
Too bad he put it where it's useless.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know what this thing called "GOOGLE" is for?

The key lock to the hidden compartment is itself hidden behind a false panel that is held in place by magnets.

View Quote

Yea If I want to sift through 8,000,000,000 pics of electromagnets big small whatever.

I am sure people have used them in cabinets before and I am sure someone makes them for that specific applications.

I also want ideas on what people have done in the past with these...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I would pick out small supermagnets from United Nuclear or other sources.   Some that are about the size of a dime should be more

than sufficent to securely hold the cover in place which conceals the key lock.

Any question you can ask here, you can ask Google.  

Where do you think we get our answer from, anyway?   I don't have to know much.  If I can Google the question, I can SEEM to be smart.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Building a "cabinet" is kinda vague. You have a drawing, or a picture of something you're using for inspiration?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The Chicoms have cornered the market on rare earth neodymium magnets.

If you're looking for some nice magnets, ebay or dx.com, home of all things chicom are good bets.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
No magnets.

This is old school so maybe not what you are looking for.  
See the video in the link below for how it was done

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/video/secret-compartments-spice-box-drawers
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#12]
How about an RFID chip and reader to control a solenoid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a few years ago about a speakeasy that had a button recessed into the wall that would allow the door to be opened from the outside. The door had a small hole drilled into it that the bar tender would use a small dowl rod to push the button and open the door for customers.

Magnets would be another option.

As others have stated too hard to give advise when you only provide  the very broad subject of cabniet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:53:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Believe it or not, "Tot-Lok."

http://www.tot-lok.com/

I used one for a hidden, yet right out in the open, access panel in my old house.....

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I used one for a hidden, yet right out in the open, access panel in my old house.....

View Quote

This.

I've also seen routed ball tracks underneath a countertop, and a magnet placed in the bottom of a decoration piece.

You move the decoration across the counter over the hidden track, dragging a ball bearing with it to hit contacts and complete an electrical circuit, activating a solenoid and unlocking a panel.
When you lift the decoration, the ball rolls back downhill in the track and resets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#16]
You don't live in Ohio do ya?

Cause you could get arrested for having it if you ever move it.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please explain - to whom and what is the law to which you refer?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hidden compartments in vehicles, could be construed (if you're a 'tard) to include things like furniture with hidden compartments when in/on the vehicle.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/opinion/their-opinion/columnists-blogs/guest-columnists/car-trouble-bill-would-outlaw-hidden-compartments-trigger-forfeiture/article_86b38062-c731-5cb0-9d76-209c3fb2ee9a.html
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#19]
They make locks that use a magnet for the key.  No electricity needed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#20]
A secret / hidden compartment shouldn't need a lock. That's why it is hidden.

Think Lee Valley sells the magnetic locks that you want though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]
OK it's not really a secret compartment but a say hidden storage space and will have a built in shelf that when moved will have a hidden compartment. I want to be able to lock it and unlock it to keep the unsuspecting from opening it.

Does that help.

I saw the stuff on amazon I am thinking using it with the wireless remotes to unlock the hidden door.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#22]
This may be what you are looking for

http://www.auton.com/index.php/lifts

They are expensive, but truly remote control
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OK it's not really a secret compartment but a say hidden storage space and will have a built in shelf that when moved will have a hidden compartment. I want to be able to lock it and unlock it to keep the unsuspecting from opening it.

Does that help.

I saw the stuff on amazon I am thinking using it with the wireless remotes to unlock the hidden door.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Pick up a linear actuator to actuate a locking pin.  That way you only need to supply electricity to lock or unlock.  When power is removed the lock will remain in the current condition.  If the actuator fails while locked you may be SOL but if you get a decent actuator and you're not opening and closing it 24/7 it should have a very long operating life before it fails.  Maybe you could even find one that would run off of a 9 volt battery, then just leave two contacts exposed as knobs or decorative junk on the exterior that you would just touch a 9 volt battery to in one direction to command open and the other direction to command closed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
magnets

no really electromagnets, only down side is if the power gets unplugged/cut it'll unlock.
View Quote

I saw someone build a false back onto a closet for his guns, and this was how you got the wall to slide open.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's to cool.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:33:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Son of a $@#$@#$ !

That is what those damn things are. I had those on my cabniets when I bought my house. The doors would lock and I would have to use a slim screw driver to flip the latch to get them open. The previous owner obvious failed to provide the magnet to open them. I've since removed them and I think the wife tossed the bag they were in.

Cool idea though if you have all the pieces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top