Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2013 6:48:28 AM EDT
I was working on my truck yesterday and broke my craftsman torque wrench. The adjustment collar now has about an inch of play in it so there is no way to know what the setting is.

I don't feel like it is worth the cost to get repaired so I'm in the market for a new one.

I want a 1/2" drive up to 150 Ft lbs. I don't want to spend more than necessary but don't want more junk. I use it doing maintenance on my truck, tractor, mower and four wheeler.

Was looking at This CDI from Amazon.

Does that sound like a good deal? Could anyone recommend a less expensive one that would likely be durable and accurate enough for my use?

Thanks,

Joe

Update:

After lots of research and thinking about it, I decided that the 20 to 150 ft/lb wrench would not cover everything I needed, I ended up raiding my paypal account and buying two. Between the two I bought and two smaller inch/lb wrenches I already had, I have everything covered.

I got two CDI wrenches. One 5 to 75 ft/lb and one 30/250 ft/lb. They seem to be well made tools that will hopefully last me the rest of my days.

Now I have to get out there and change the brake pads/rotors on my truck and get the yearly maint done on my tractor and mower.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]

CDI makes quality stuiff.  I'll be honest.  I have a few torque wrenches and the Harbor Frieght ones work just fine.  I use them on my vehicles, tractors, motorcycles, ect.  I have a calibrator and check them every year.  Never had a problem.

Outside of that, PI Split beam torque wrenches are excellent. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=PREC3FR250F

Husky has been getting very good reviews as of late for theirs, so if you are looking for cheaper price, that may be in your scope.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Won't they repair or fix for free?  I know their warranty has gone to crap on some of the tools but the last time I went in with a broken socket wrench they repaired it while
I waited.  

Personally I am all about buying by review on Amazon, that one looks good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Won't they repair or fix for free?  I know their warranty has gone to crap on some of the tools but the last time I went in with a broken socket wrench they repaired it while
I waited.  

Personally I am all about buying by review on Amazon, that one looks good.
View Quote

It only had a year warranty. It is at least five years old. If I remember correctly, it was about $80 back then. They are $40 now. I'm guessing it will cost near that much for repair and the reviews on the new ones are terrible. Sounds like a lot of them malfunction same as mine. I want a wrench that I can count on when I need it. Not sure that craftsman fits that requirement anymore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CDI makes quality stuiff.  I'll be honest.  I have a few torque wrenches and the Harbor Frieght ones work just fine.  I use them on my vehicles, tractors, motorcycles, ect.  I have a calibrator and check them every year.  Never had a problem.

Outside of that, PI Split beam torque wrenches are excellent. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=PREC3FR250F

Husky has been getting very good reviews as of late for theirs, so if you are looking for cheaper price, that may be in your scope.

View Quote

That PI split beam does get great reviews. I've never used a split beam but it looks like it would be very similar to a micrometer click type.

I'll look at the Husky also.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Outside of that, PI Split beam torque wrenches are excellent.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Sears torque wrenches too. I guess I'm on borrowed time...
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#7]
CDI torque products are pretty nice wrenches. They are who makes them for Snap-on.

All our companies production plants use CDI wrenches.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a rainy day here so I have had a lot of time to look into this.

I'm leaning towards the CDI since it has a little bit lower low end. The high end would be high enough but barely.

I really need two more wrenches but don't want to spend that much right now.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Can you show a picture of the broken parts?  I use to assembly Craftsman torque wrenches and there is not much to them.  I bought Craftsman and Harbor Freight torque wrenches and both work just fine.  You can get a 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight with a coupon for $9.99.  No reason not to have all three drive sizes.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can you show a picture of the broken parts?  I use to assembly Craftsman torque wrenches and there is not much to them.  I bought Craftsman and Harbor Freight torque wrenches and both work just fine.  You can get a 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" torque wrench from Harbor Freight with a coupon for $9.99.  No reason not to have all three drive sizes.
View Quote

The plastic handle that you twist to adjust the torque values is what malfunctioned. It will slide back and forth along the wrench about an inch. No way to know what value it is set at. To be honest, I may have gone to far when I turned it back down after the last time I used it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top