Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 11:49:10 AM EDT
Moving into a new house in a few weeks, and one of the immediate issues is with the fireplace/chimney flu system. One of the screws holding in the chain adjustment thingies (technical term) was pulled out of the brick in the back of the fireplace, and I'm not sure what the best way to reattach the thing would be due to the high temperatures it'll have to deal with.  Anybody ever have a similar issue?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a concrete screw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djotP-sR4mU
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
pics?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#3]
We're going to have to know the attachment. Shouldn't be hard, but difficult to give you good advice without knowing exactly what you're dealing with.

If it's straight into brick/concrete, then I would either use a larger concrete screw or fill the hole and retap. If it's into a piece of metal in the chimney,then I would put in a threaded insert of some kind, like a Keensert or a Helicoil. Depends on how it's threaded.

In no event should it be terribly expensive to fix.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]
No pics at the moment, haven't moved in yet.

It was screwed directly into the brick, and looks like it got yanked out.  I was leaning towards the filling and retapping route, but wasn't sure on what the best filler would be with the heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top