Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 9:12:07 AM EDT
So the spousal unit calls this am  in a panic.  The headlights went out, but if she holds the turn signal stem back the brights stay on.

I played with the hl switch,  sometime lights on, sometimes not.  From a google search it seems that the hl switch goes bad.

Does the little panel w/switches  pop out of the dash,  or is it a royal pain to get it out?  I checked the ground under the battery,  it looks  to be clean.

TIA

Gary
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, I don't know that I'd bother disconnecting the battery, but it's your call.

If you need a schematic to test the switch to be sure, let me know. Looks like variable resistance switch rather than multiple output switch. The former tends to go out more frequently in my experience.

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2.Remove the Instrument Panel Lower Steering Column Cover.
3.Reach up behind the left side of the instrument panel and depress spring clip on top or bottom of headlamp switch. Firmly push out on the headlamp switch assembly.
4.Disconnect the wiring connectors.
5.Remove switch from vehicle.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 2003 grand caravan. The headlight switch on the dash stopped working. I bought a new switch at the dealer. It was cheaper than what I found online and in stock. It took a couple of minutes to replace.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
generally speaking some trim covers a few screws holding the headlight switch in
your symptoms sounds like a HL switch, the turn signal hi beam stalk is almost always fed power via the HL switch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top