Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2013 6:39:19 AM EDT
Please note - this is not a thread about gas can storage for prep/survival purposes. This is about making gas cans that you use daily/weekly for around the home projects more user friendly.

Here is the low down - I go through quite a bit of gas each week on my property between the riding mower, chainsaw, trimmer, etc. and I currently have two fie gallon plastic gas cans and two smaller two gallon containers. I fill the five gallon containers at the store, and then fill the smaller two gallon containers from the larger ones (because the a full five gallon containers are heavy and unwieldy, especially when I only need to add a small amount of fuel to the trimmer or chainsaw).

The problems I am encountering with these craptactic EPA gas cans are:
1) The nozzles they come with (those one you have to pull back on like these) are utter crap. Any better nozzles I can buy?
2) The black plastic cap around the base of the nozzle is poorly constructed and easily cracks. Any replacement caps that are better?
3) The containers lack a secondary vent so when you pour gas from the spout it surges. I found this video(a Google search lead me back to an old Arfcom thread) for adding a vent.

So, what I am looking for are any methods you did (or know of) to mod these kinds of gas cans to actually make them functional and usable (especially modding or replacing the pouring spouts).
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Canada still sells real venting gas cans.  I was lucky enough to find some from TX  before the EPA went assraping around the country.

But, that is a good idea for a vent... drilling a hole and using a tire valve stem, minus the core, seen that before.  Will probably mod a few of my "new" cans.

Can always look for jerry cans, too.  They're metal, and seal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to an ATV store, they have off road use only cans that are way better than what you get at wally world
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Rotopax

Be sure to get their for water only nozzle. Also called self-venting spout. It fits many other containers.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go to an ATV store, they have off road use only cans that are way better than what you get at wally world

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. For now, I'm trying to mod the cans I have since I have quite a few (and I think it would be cheaper (maybe) to mod the cans I have versus buying new ones).
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I hate californa cans....I just spilled more gas on the ground because of them,....
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#6]
NVM, after a little bit of reading No-Spill gas caps only fit their own cans.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen these recommended elsewhere EZ Pour Spout.

For smaller cans, pick up a swedish surplus can from Old Grouch surplus.  It uses NATO spouts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#8]
There is a youtube video on how to make the craptastic CA cans work.  

I use the ATV style fuel jugs because we don't have those stupid laws in AZ.  

If you are in CA and get caught on public land by a ranger with a non-compliant can, they will hang paper on you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#9]

This "water" jug. by JAZ comes in blue, red or clear to identify the fluid inside

all I use. Either get a funnel or their hose attachment.
Best can around
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Jerry and Sceptre cans here and I just use a simple siphon with a pressure clamp.  I never have spills, and I don't have to pump or pour.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's the youtube fix it video.............POKE HERE

Vent caps off of Ebay..........................POKE HERE

I've done this fix and it works great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate californa cans....I just spilled more gas on the ground because of them,....

This.  Every day I fill the mower, my bike, edger, i spill more than I ever did with a real spout.
(is it wrong that I smile when it spills?)
Fucking morons making laws with no experience in the real world.

TXL
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not saying I prefer these to pre-ban cans, but I've never had an issue with the 5 gallon blitz can with this spout
http://www.lowes.com/pd_180797-1362-81101_0__?productId=3303190
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Justrite safety can. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#15]

2 kegs welded togethter, doesn't vent, fills all my stuff w/o dripping or shitty funnels.

use it just like a pump, pressurize with propane or air.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not saying I prefer these to pre-ban cans, but I've never had an issue with the 5 gallon blitz can with this spout
http://www.lowes.com/pd_180797-1362-81101_0__?productId=3303190

That's what I used to say... until I walked out in my shed one day to find that the spout had broken... It seems that the "ring" that holds the spout on the jug has a weak point. After repeated use, and the pressure cycling these things take, I think it just gave out on a warm day when the pressure in the can was highest... I replaced it with an EZpour spout and haven't looked back...
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Work requires us to use these safety cans.  Best ones I have used, but about $100 for a 5 gallon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I use standard metal safety cans. they are not cheap (about 45.00) but it will last a lifetime and comes with a funnel. for diesel old fashion military 5 gallon cans with spouts. those new cans are junk. it takes forever to empty one. get a safety can for your chainsaw a 1 gallon can. it has a spring loaded cap and funnel built in. I bet you'll like it. very handy. ok there you go.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Work requires us to use these safety cans.  Best ones I have used, but about $100 for a 5 gallon.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/Tinysd/s0476294_sc7splssku.jpg

Bingo! I have a 2 gallon and a 1 gallon. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Link Posted: 6/21/2013 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/20130606_073956_zps93839093.jpg

2 kegs welded togethter, doesn't vent, fills all my stuff w/o dripping or shitty funnels.

A+ for idea but the hose needs to be static draining.  I know it is fuel rated Tygon.  

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
vp racing fuel jugs.....have plenty of them and have used them for years. best jugs for the money. if you can go to a local NHRA or maybe even nascar race VP usually has the cans and accessories for sale there cheaper then in a shop or on line. i got a few more cans and pour hoses last year at an NHRA race and i think i  paid either 20 or 25 each with a hose.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s42.photobucket.com/user/taylorwso/media/20130606_073956_zps93839093.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/20130606_073956_zps93839093.jpg</a>

That's a good idea - keeping a mental picture for future reference.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW, I had bad luck with the race fuel jugs.  The caps cannot withstand the pressures generated from outdoor storage during the summer.  

I lost ~20-25% of the fuel I had stored in them to evaporation over a 6 month period because the caps cracked, essentially giving me an open can.

Those familiar with NATO cans or MFCs have probably seen them swell up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Just FYI make sure you don't carry these EPA friendly squeeze nozzle type cans in your car for emergency fuel as I watched a guy just the other day fight a pretty much unwinnable fight to get fuel in his wife's car with one.  The nozzle isn't long enough to get past the anti-siphon flap in the fuel filler tube.  Therefor its near impossible to get gas into the filler tube.

Just FYI.

No good hints for how to make it work better, as I also pour more gas on the ground than elsewhere with these new caps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Tractor supply, EZ pour. Read this.

Jaz cans are nice too, bit spendy, we kept them in a garage at the lake and never experienced any cap cracking. Great for motorsports, stand her up and empty in seconds.

EPA cans with a car, get yourself a long funnel, only way they're usable on most, and totally defeats the purpose, even without the flap the short rigid nozzle won't let you drain it all the way on most rigs. I kinda like my 2 gal blitz for the mower, just let its own weight slide the valve open, no spills.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Just install a Schrader valve without a core and cap it.

The stupid new cans are probably causing more spills and creating more  vapor that way than they could ever contain anyway.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 1:45:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, this has been a sore subject with me too. All my fuel cans are older or modified. Whatever EPA office that mandated those new spouts should be fired & shut down.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Noticed this at my local store: http://www.ruralking.com/ez-pour-replacement-spout-kit.html

It is still going to result in splashing from air trying to enter the can as gas exits, the old glug-glug with liquid flow repeatedly starting and stopping.

You need a vent to let the air in.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 4:41:39 AM EDT
[#30]
What you need is a jiggle syphon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVegKo4WH0
You can use with any can and it requires very little effort. The only requirement is that the gas can is higher than its destination. The gas transfers fast and you don't have to hold the can. No gulp, gulping either. They cost around $10. I bought mine on ebay. The only local place I've seen them are Bass Pro in the boating supplies.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What you need is a jiggle syphon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVegKo4WH0
You can use with any can and it requires very little effort. The only requirement is that the gas can is higher than its destination. The gas transfers fast and you don't have to hold the can. No gulp, gulping either. They cost around $10. I bought mine on ebay. The only local place I've seen them are Bass Pro in the boating supplies.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Survivial forum turned me on to the super siphon which is available on Amazon.  Great for 5 gallon NATO cans.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top