Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2012 9:46:43 AM EDT
I'm looking for a bench vise, to be used mainly for holding ARs while being cleaned and building golf clubs.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 10:05:19 AM EDT
[#1]
get a 4" or 6" irwin mechanics vise
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd suggest a woodworking vise.

They mount to the side of the benchtop , leaving the top surface unobstructed.

They have the quick opening feature.  

There's a lot to recommend for a decent woodworking vise.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He's talking about one of these

Though I don't find them very useful for rifle building.  Any 5" vise from Lowes or Home Depot will serve you fine IMHO.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's talking about one of these

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/WorkbenchFinal2.jpg

Though I don't find them very useful for rifle building.  Any 5" vise from Lowes or Home Depot will serve you fine IMHO.  

http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Covertness/LaRue1.jpg

IM CALLING YOU OUT THERE COVERTNESS!!!

i surfed your website and i have to say im impressed with your shop! how about a thread on how you set it up and how you chose your tools? a thread on pen turning would be sweet!
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i surfed your website and i have to say im impressed with your shop! how about a thread on how you set it up and how you chose your tools? a thread on pen turning would be sweet!

ask and ye shall receive
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ask and ye shall receive

thats what im talking about! how often do you use dovetails?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ask and ye shall receive

Anytime I make a drawer for something on a piece of furniture or cabinets
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ask and ye shall receive

Anytime I make a drawer for something on a piece of furniture or cabinets

dovetails in my opinion are a lost art.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Hand made maybe.  

dovetail jig

Easy with the right jig
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
i prefer the leigh jig
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the 24" Leigh jig.  I almost never use it.

I would still recommend a wood working vise over a bench top vise.  If it's of any interest, I have built and rebuilt AR's using that vice.  It can hold an action block as easily as any other vise but it can do so much more, too.   How about holding a door upright and on its edge for you while you plane the edge to size.  I don't think a bench top vise is of much use for those types of things.  I have lived my entire life without a benchtop vise but my shop would not be functional without a woodworking vise.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I also have a 24" Porter Cable jig that I paid big money on.  Never used it either.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#13]
i hear the porter cable is nice also. a little pricey for me though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a Wilton 656 and it works for us nicely.

Fleabay has them for pretty decent price, and there are smaller ones too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#15]
How are the Yost brand vises? Its been a toss up between a Wilton and a Yost for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a wood workers vise, for the very reason that it doesn't take up counter space, especially since I have the Vice mounted to my Kitchen Island counter.

Advantages of being single. I set my house up for me and no other.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Dovetail jigs?

Here's my "me time" project right now:

The carcase is made out of 4/4 poplar.  I need to count the dovetails just in that.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Festoon container box.....

I'm jealous.

Good looking project you got there.  Surprised you went with poplar though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Festoon container box.....

I'm jealous.

Good looking project you got there.  Surprised you went with poplar though.

Thanks!  I just wish I had time to work on it.  We've got a 2-year-old and a 3-month-old, so between them and paying work I have almost no time to do things for fun.

I'd have gone with white pine if I could get it 5/4.  It's going to be painted, so I wanted cheap.  And it's going to get beat to hell, so I wanted it thick.  Oak or maple would have been considerably heavier.  So poplar it was.  The chest is 100% by hand.  Looking at the picture, it looks like the dovetails are graduated, but they're actually all the same size.  Must be the angle I was holding my phone.

The small pine chest that's under and behind all the crap holds all my molding planes and other wooden planes.  I hate working in a messy shop, but there's only so many hours in the day...

And Festool makes some slick stuff.  It's my crack.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 4:41:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Going to be painted.  That explains it and makes it a perfect wood choice.  

One day, I will have a Domino.  Oh yes, I will....

btw, Wurth Woodgroup in Charlotte has 5/4 wood.  They sell it as 4/4 but it's really 5/4,  of course once you mill it, it's 4/4.  Also a good place for sheet goods.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a small vice I picked up from Lowes, lag bolted to my work bench.  For golf clubs all you need is the rubber vice clamp and you're good to go.  I replace my grips at least once a year, not to mention my friends.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
To bring this back around to vises, hit up pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc.  Picked up this last week for $25.  Worlds better than anything available today.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To bring this back around to vises, hit up pawn shops, flea markets, yard sales, etc.  Picked up this last week for $25.  Worlds better than anything available today.  

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/USPcompact/7e2d48b0bbfe7046b316c5d815dfeb37.jpg

I officially hate you
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's a modern bench vice - replacable jaws, quick release screw, pop-up bench dog, etc.

Record Vice
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here's a modern bench vice - replacable jaws, quick release screw, pop-up bench dog, etc.

http://www.irwin.com.au/uploads/products/large/woodworking-vices-quick-release-1317.jpg

Record Vice

That's a Chinese made vise-shaped object.  There's nothing modern about it - it's a Record/Eclipse pattern that's been made since before Site Staff were born.  The "Made in England" versions are damn good, and can be had used for $20-40.  At over $100, the new ones are comparatively crap.

The best new production vise for under $150 is one of the Jorgensens.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]
These are the ones I have on my bench.  (I have the large ones)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=31137&cat=1,41659,41661

Been very happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These are the ones I have on my bench.  (I have the large ones)

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/clamps/70g0801s1.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=31137&cat=1,41659,41661

Been very happy with them.

Those are nice.  Pretty much anything Lee Valley sales is GTG.

I actually got to meet and have a beer with Robin Lee last year.  There is not a nicer, more humble person in this world.  They're a company I'm more than happy to do business with.  

I'd take a picture of my main bench and it's vises, but it's currently disassembled.    I'm finishing up an inlay bench tonight (hopefully), so I'll snap some pictures of that Columbian vise once it's installed.  I've got a couple more vises in the shop, but they're dedicated woodworking vises that don't really do anything else very well.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's a Chinese made vise-shaped object.  There's nothing modern about it - it's a Record/Eclipse pattern that's been made since before Site Staff were born.  The "Made in England" versions are damn good, and can be had used for $20-40.  At over $100, the new ones are comparatively crap.

I have a record 52 1/2D on my bench.  It's made in Sheffield, England.  It's a good vise.  If you can get a good one for $30-$40, buy it!

I like the Lee Valley/Veritas vise, too.  

I want one of their chain-drive tail vise kits.

LV Vise
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a record 52 1/2D on my bench.  It's made in Sheffield, England.  It's a good vise.  If you can get a good one for $30-$40, buy it!

I like the Lee Valley/Veritas vise, too.  

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/clamps/10g0411s3.jpg

I want one of their chain-drive tail vise kits.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/woodworking/clamps/05g1221s1.jpg

LV Vise

I had the LV twin screw for awhile and used it for a face vise.  Very well made.  Sold it for almost what I bought it for.  

Another good LV vise:  Inset vise.. Pretty woodworking specific, but easy to install and works great.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had the LV twin screw for awhile and used it for a face vise.  Very well made.  Sold it for almost what I bought it for.  

Another good LV vise:  Inset vise.. Pretty woodworking specific, but easy to install and works great.

That looks nice.  They make nice things at Lee Valley/Veritas.  

For me, that unit is redundant.  I use bench dogs in my vises and bench top, as well as holdfasts, to do the same thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top