Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2012 3:57:16 AM EDT
I would like to have a utility sink tie in to this waste riser in my basement.  Does this look feasible?  I will be hiring a plumber but I want to make sure this can be done before calling someone out.  Pipe below cleanout is 4".  I assume they will need some rype of reducer.  Hot and cold water service is just above so that shouldn't be an issue.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a real plumber and no problem. A floor sink and you will have to bust up some of the floor for the tie in but if you go with a wall mount you are GTG.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

Will they need to bust up the floor for one of those plastic laundry sinks on a pedestal?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Your plumber will most likely put a 4" X 2" wye or tee in below the clean out for the drain. Depending on your plumbing code it'll probably have to vented which can sometimes be a pain to fInd a place to tie the vent into.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Will they need to bust up the floor for one of those plastic laundry sinks on a pedestal?

No
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your plumber will most likely put a 4" X 2" wye or tee in below the clean out for the drain. Depending on your plumbing code it'll probably have to vented which can sometimes be a pain to fInd a place to tie the vent into.

It'll need a vent period...Code might allow a studor vent tho...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need a vent if its within "developed length".  That's easy as sin to do yourself, just as said above, cut in a Y, not a T.  T's are 90 sharp, and you want the curved down angle of a Y.  Keep the brach short, a couple of feet at most, and pitch it to the stack pipe, the main raiser, but only a slight pitch.  Terminat the branch with a 90 looking out towards the room/sink and end it with a 2" x1 1/2" male threaded adapter.  This is where the jam-nut for the p-trap screws into.

I used to do commercial plumbing for another member on Arf when I was in college and I did the very same thing in my house....except I jack hammered the floor and replaced the old cast iron junk first.  It was 50% gunked up at least.

You can buy everything you need at homedepot or lowes, make sure you use primer before you glue.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top