Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 4:11:09 PM EDT
I'm still fairly new at welding, but my confidence level is pretty high. I want to build a smoker, and a very heavy duty one at that.
I'm going to building it out of 1/4 plate. I only have grinders, and an 8" milwaukee metal cutting circular say at this point in time to
cut metal with. So I am going to be making it all with square cuts. I havn't decided on a design yet, but I am going to do a little practice
on some scrap that I have laying around. Here is my question.

When I'm welding a box together how should I make the joint? Here are the 2 ways I am contemplating.

1. just a straight 90 degree I guess it would be a T joint. and just weld the inside.

2. offset, and weld the outside gap, and some 1" runs on the inside spaced out every few inches.

Not sure which way is the best, or the correct way.

Pic of the new saw just because.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Choice #2 is correct.

Choice #1 would work fine in a BBQ.

Tack all the pieces together before you weld it or the parts will not stay square.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, pic 2 is correct.  I would go with a flat weld as opposed to an up or down.  Should be pretty easy as you can flip the box where you need it to do the flats.  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Guides for different processes and other reference materials: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/

Multiple BBQ projects: http://www.millerwelds.com/interests/projects/ideagallery/lawn-garden/

Highley recommended calculator set: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/#calculators
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Either will do.

Personally, I prefer #2, and see no need to have 1 inch runs on the inside. With # 2, you have nice valley to lay your weld in, and can make your welds look good. If you don't want your welds exposed, go with #1.

What process are you using? smaw (stick) or gmaw (mig )?  Smaw, I'd go with #2, mainly due to it will be a pain to chip the welds when the box gets to closing up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Either will do.

Personally, I prefer #2, and see no need to have 1 inch runs on the inside. With # 2, you have nice valley to lay your weld in, and can make your welds look good. If you don't want your welds exposed, go with #1.

What process are you using? smaw (stick) or gmaw (mig )?  Smaw, I'd go with #2, mainly due to it will be a pain to chip the welds when the box gets to closing up.

I'm using MIG. I got 4 sides welded up already. Not sure if I want to post pics of it though. Maybe later.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
How well is that saw cutting that 1/4"? I've never used one and 1/4" just sounded like it would be a too much unless you went real slow.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How well is that saw cutting that 1/4"? I've never used one and 1/4" just sounded like it would be a too much unless you went real slow.

Just a little slower than wood. It's pretty awesome. I didn't think it would work as well as it does.
I've cut about 30' of 1/4 plate with it so far. Lost one tooth on the blade, but it still cuts like it was
new. Definately worth the $300.00
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Good deal. I was guessing you would have to abandon it for a torch or plasma cutter. Looking forward to seeing pics.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
100% V weld is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
If you ever need to go with a joint like #1 (for this or any project) I'd recommend welding both sides.  If you weld just one side the welds will tend to shrink as they cool and pull the materials to one side.  Welds on the other side will counteract this issue.  I don't think #2 will present this problem.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Either will do.

I'm using MIG. I got 4 sides welded up already. Not sure if I want to post pics of it though. Maybe later.

Which machine are you running?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Either will do.

Miller 211
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Either will do.

Miller 211

Is it running on 110 or 220?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I like this
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Either will do.

Miller 211

Is it running on 110 or 220?  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top