Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 7:21:22 AM EDT
It is a Maytag Precision Touch 500. Searching online, I discovered is is likely the glow ignitor that went bad. I took it out, confirmed 120v being supplied. It had an intermittent break in the line when checking for continuity. I replaced the ignitor, and now it glows hot, and the gas comes on, but the gas doesn't ignite. I can manually ignite the gas, but I'm worried that it won't hold the temp correctly, and that's just a temp fix. Also after manually igniting the gas, the glow plug stays lit. Not sure if it's supposed to do that..

I'm not sure what to do now...No oven just before T day sucks.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the broiler work properly?  They usually have separate igniter but everything else is shared.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
His has seperate burners for oven and broiler, so seperate ignitors.
O.P. did you bend the bracket for the ignitor away from the burner, it needs to be positioned correctly, and yes it glows while its running
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

O.P. did you bend the bracket for the ignitor away from the burner, it needs to be positioned correctly, and yes it glows while its running

The replacement ignitor had a slightly different bracket that places it closer to the burner bar. Basically instead of the ignitor laying on it's side, it lays flat now. The whole oven fills with gas quickly, not sure how a different orientation would make.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Natural gas or propane?  Propane sinks, natural gas floats.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The replacement ignitor had a slightly different bracket that places it closer to the burner bar. Basically instead of the ignitor laying on it's side, it lays flat now. The whole oven fills with gas quickly, not sure how a different orientation would make.

Get the correct igniter or take the old igniter out of the bracket [CAREFULLY!] and replace it with the new one. The igniter stays on as long as the burner  flame does, it is the safety for the gas valve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top