Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2012 6:03:00 AM EDT
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove scale from a pool liner?  It feels like you're walking on fine sandpaper in the pool.  It's an above ground pool, 12' x 24', and the scale is on the bottom and about 6" up the sides.  Above that, the walls are nice and smooth.  I maintain the ph level right around 7.0 - 7.2.  The water is nice and clear, just has that damn roughness on the liner.  I've tried brushing it, to no avail.  Got some cleaner from the pool supply store, it's almost like a paste so it doesn't dissolve so quickly, but that didn't do it either (it's really hard to apply it underwater and get it to stay in place, too).

Would draining the pool and using vinegar take care of it?  If so, I'll just wait until I close it for the season and do it then.  Or am I stuck with looking into a new liner?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
There's more aggressive chemical cleaners,  and some blocks that look like Cratex on a plastic end that fits the pool pole.

Depending on how old the liner is, may be the plastic is going away though.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove scale from a pool liner?  It feels like you're walking on fine sandpaper in the pool.  It's an above ground pool, 12' x 24', and the scale is on the bottom and about 6" up the sides.  Above that, the walls are nice and smooth.  I maintain the ph level right around 7.0 - 7.2.  The water is nice and clear, just has that damn roughness on the liner.  I've tried brushing it, to no avail.  Got some cleaner from the pool supply store, it's almost like a paste so it doesn't dissolve so quickly, but that didn't do it either (it's really hard to apply it underwater and get it to stay in place, too).

Would draining the pool and using vinegar take care of it?  If so, I'll just wait until I close it for the season and do it then.  Or am I stuck with looking into a new liner?  Thanks!

Do you know your calcium hardness for a liner pool I like 200ppm if it is over 400ppm scale starts to form on liner and equip the only way to lower culcium from pool  water is to empty and get hardness down to 200ppm. then try a  scale inhibitor to remove scale from pool floor and wall

GOOD LUCK

a well matained pool chemistry is chlorine 1.5  PH 7.5  total alkinty [baking soda]  80- 100 ppm calcium hardness 200ppm
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
How old is your liner? They only last about four or five seasons before they dry out and become brittle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top