Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2012 4:57:22 PM EDT
My wife and I are planning a camping trip that will require I lift my 7,500watt generator into the back of my truck.  My wife can't lift and I can't lift if myself.

The thought came to me that I could mount a pulley system to the ceiling of my garage.  Lift the generator with the pulley.  Pull truck under it.  Lower into truck.

Assuming that I make sure that the rope doesn't slip or something like this, does this sound workable?
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]
sure.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You are going camping and need 7500 watt generator?

When I had my retaining wall built I had them add a ramp at the end for whatever I needed to get in the back of my truck.

If I was going camping and needed a generator I would have a second smaller generator like a Honda 2000 that you can lift with one arm and is quiet..

As to your question, in theory it would work but not sure how much your rafters will hold, and I would use a cable and not a standard type rope.

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't need the 7,500 watt generator, but it is what I have.  I want to buy a eu2000i, but it isn't in the books right now.

I'm also worried about the joists, but my theory is that since I'm only talking about 300 pounds that seems right inline with two people in a sexswing.  Seems like it should work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd rig some block/tackle using separate joists.  Two lines, half the load per.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I would build a low profile castoring wheel carriage. Get a couple of 2x4s to act as a ramp and your there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't want to run a generator too far below it's rated capacity or you may run into some wet stacking issues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Chain hoist spread the weight out on a couple joists
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chain hoist spread the weight out on a couple joists

THIS

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 6:35:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Too much depends on variables we dont know. If your garage has a 20' span and your joists are 2x4's that one thing,  if your garage has an 8' span and the joists are 4x10's that's another. Fwiw I suggest NOT using rope and pick something with a very generous margin of strength.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#11]
OK, so it is a two car garage.  The joists are 2x4s.  My current plan is to take a piece of 4x4 that I've got and cut to fit between two joists.  Screw through the joists into the 4x4 then hang from the 4x4.
I also found a 1ton chain hoist that would leave me only using 1/4 of its capacity.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
can you just make a ramp and push/pull it up? use a cumalong off of one oif the bed tiesdowns
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:14:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OK, so it is a two car garage.  The joists are 2x4s.  My current plan is to take a piece of 4x4 that I've got and cut to fit between two joists.  Screw through the joists into the 4x4 then hang from the 4x4.
I also found a 1ton chain hoist that would leave me only using 1/4 of its capacity.

No!!
You can pull those screws right thru the 2x4's, if it were me i would get a longer 4x4 or even a 6x6 and put it on top of the 2x4's.
Spread the load across a couple of the rafters.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!!
You can pull those screws right thru the 2x4's, if it were me i would get a longer 4x4 or even a 6x6 and put it on top of the 2x4's.

Holy crap!!! This!!!!  Cutting the 4x4 to fit BETWEEN the 2x4's is NOT a good idea. Take the longest 4x4 you have and lay it across as many of the rafters as you can. In a 2 car garage with 2x4 rafters those rafters have crap verticle load carrying capacity. Remember that when your lifting (chain hoist) the load on your support structure is much higher than the static load. And don't forget if there are ANY knots in the wood those are huge weak spots.  May want to think carefully about this one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!!

Holy crap!!! This!!!!  Cutting the 4x4 to fit BETWEEN the 2x4's is NOT a good idea. Take the longest 4x4 you have and lay it across as many of the rafters as you can. In a 2 car garage with 2x4 rafters those rafters have crap verticle load carrying capacity. Remember that when your lifting (chain hoist) the load on your support structure is much higher than the static load. And don't forget if there are ANY knots in the wood those are huge weak spots.  May want to think carefully about this one.

I think I'm liking the ramp and comealong idea more.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Got any buddies?
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't think my entire apartment needs that much wattage!
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got any buddies?

Not in this state.  :-(
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Hey, I got a good deal on it.  And, it is large enough that it can power my water heater so my wife can take a hot bath during extended power outages.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, I got a good deal on it.  And, it is large enough that it can power my water heater so my wife can take a hot bath during extended power outages.

The best thing about being heavily Natural Gas oriented here, is that when we lose power for days on end (as we just did), we can still cook with the stove and we still have hot water.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Try making a big see-saw (never had to spell that before).

Get (2) 10 foot 2x6's and attach them with 2x4's. Place a cooler or something on the ground and the boards on top, you can offset the board on the cooler so you can get a greater counterweight. Have your wife stand on the opposite end of the board, you can keep throwing stuff (another cooler or something) under the generator side to chalk it up so if wifey looses balance it only drops a few inches. Stand in the bed of the truck for the last one and have her stand on the board again and yank that thing in.

If it doesn't work, you can use the 2x6's for ramps. Does the genny have wheels?
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow!

I didn't know they made stuff like this, I was just looking for come-aloing options that might be mountable in a truck bed, and came across that monster.

I agree that the good old ramp ("inclined plane") is your best bet.  Added bonus is your means of getting the thing in and out of your bed is need not be left behind at home.

Am I the only one still gigging about using the sex swing thing as a basis for assessing rafter strength?
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If it doesn't work, you can use the 2x6's for ramps. Does the genny have wheels?

It does have wheels, but only on one side.  I'd need to replace the little bumper things on the other side with locking casters.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow!

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18656.jpg

I didn't know they made stuff like this, I was just looking for come-aloing options that might be mountable in a truck bed, and came across that monster.

I agree that the good old ramp ("inclined plane") is your best bet.  Added bonus is your means of getting the thing in and out of your bed is need not be left behind at home.

Am I the only one still gigging about using the sex swing thing as a basis for assessing rafter strength?

Thought about that, but the truck is a lease.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow!

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18656.jpg

Thought about that, but the truck is a lease.

And you can buy a smaller genny for the money spent.

This things are unbelievably useful if you scrap regularly though. (and by yourself)

Can I ask what kind of truck and what your build is like. Im willing to wager you could get it up the ramps by yourself, and I highly suggest making the ramps as opposed to purchasing. They're extremely beneficial to have regardless.

Keep in mind, the longer you make the ramps, the less severe the angle will be. I have an F-250 and the bed is roughly 3'6" off the ground so I made 10 foot long ramps for my snowblower. Its more like pushing it up a hill than a ramp.

I think I made them for less than $20, with (2) 2"x6" and a "Ramp Parts Kit" from Tractor Supply. The kit is just the metal pieces on the end. (Its meant for snow so I also adhered griptape and screw studs in so I dont slip at an additional cost)

Ill go outside and take pics now, Ill put them up in a little bit.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Truck is a 2011 Toyota Tundra SuperCrew.  As to my build, I'm 6'1" about 232#.  I'm sure you are right that with some decent length ramps I'd be able to get it up myself, but I think the comealong would be safer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I made a frame out of 1.5" steel pipe for things like this that my barn supports won't handle. It comes apart for storage. At any rate, 300lbs isn't much. A ramp and a four wheel dolley would be a lot easier.

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Truck is a 2011 Toyota Tundra SuperCrew.  As to my build, I'm 6'1" about 232#.  I'm sure you are right that with some decent length ramps I'd be able to get it up myself, but I think the comealong would be safer.

Oh man, pick that thing up and throw it in the bed. haha

Seriously though, I can successfully stop my snowblower half way up the ramp and take my hands off without it rolling back. You don't personally (physically) walk up the ramps, you stay firmly planted on the ground behind the object while walking between the ramps and push it up. I have a harder time cutting pizza. hahaha

If you want to get really involved, you can even rip pieces of plywood and screw them to the edges of the 2"x to make railings, and horizontally on the face of the 2"x to make some kind of safety bump stops.

Heres my pics, I actually used 2"x10"x10'.

Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man, pick that thing up and throw it in the bed. haha

Seriously though, I can successfully stop my snowblower half way up the ramp and take my hands off without it rolling back. You don't personally (physically) walk up the ramps, you stay firmly planted on the ground behind the object while walking between the ramps and push it up. I have a harder time cutting pizza. hahaha

If you want to get really involved, you can even rip pieces of plywood and screw them to the edges of the 2"x to make railings, and horizontally on the face of the 2"x to make some kind of safety bump stops.

Heres my pics, I actually used 2"x10"x10'.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/zegermanznew/IMAG0399.jpg
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/zegermanznew/IMAG0400.jpg

Yea, I think this is my plan.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Block it up on cribbing to bed level.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Cherry picker/ shop crane.
Foldable (for compact storage), 1-ton model for $179.00.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Really?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Now, would I lie to you?

Harbor Freight cherry picker/engine hoist if link doesn't work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Now, would I lie to you?

Harbor Freight cherry picker/engine hoist if link doesn't work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

I was thinking of one of those, but couldn't find a cheep one.  That's the only reason for my doubt.

thanks for the link
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry I forgot to mention the source in the previous post, (and don't forget to check out Craigslist for good used ones.)
Seems like the least hassle and probably the safest tool for your particular job.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sorry I forgot to mention the source in the previous post, (and don't forget to check out Craigslist for good used ones.)
Seems like the least hassle and probably the safest tool for your particular job.

Yea, I think that will be very handy for a number of tasks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Why not the truck bed crane but build a receiver hitch mount for it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top