Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2012 8:27:04 PM EDT
Anyone seen this welder?  Looks pretty useful for a homeowner.  Clearly not what a professional welder would want but might be a good deal for someone who welds around the house/farm.  It has good reviews.

Hybrid welder
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather have dedicated units, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The real multiprocess units are crazy expensive.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
you should be able to buy a stick welder and a separate mig for about the same price, most homeowners aren't going to do much tig welding, probably better to buy a dedicated machine , probably do a better job than the machine shown. Good multiprocess machine will cost a lot more than this
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If I wanted a machine like that, I'd save my dollars for a while and buy a Thermal Arc 181i.

I don't know how good of a machine the 181i is, but Thermal Arc is a quality brand and they make some very nice machines.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If I wanted a machine like that, I'd save my dollars for a while and buy a Thermal Arc 181i.

I don't know how good of a machine the 181i is, but Thermal Arc is a quality brand and they make some very nice machines.

this.....

https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%20Arc%203in1/index.php
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anyone seen this welder?  Looks pretty useful for a homeowner.  Clearly not what a professional welder would want but might be a good deal for someone who welds around the house/farm.  It has good reviews.

Hybrid welder

save your money and get a real welder, unless you are just going to be welding very thin stuff. personally i wouldn't consider any stick welder under 200 amps. 30% duty cycle at 160 amps won't let you do much more than the occasional light repair.

jmho,

ymmv
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hybrid welder

save your money and get a real welder, unless you are just going to be welding very thin stuff. personally i wouldn't consider any stick welder under 200 amps. 30% duty cycle at 160 amps won't let you do much more than the occasional light repair.  
jmho,
ymmv

I'm not planning on buying one.  Have a 110 volt MIG and have access to a 225 Lincoln stick welder.  I'll eventually be buying a Lincoln myself.  

My main reason for posting it is that there might be someone out there needing a welder but can't afford to buy one of each.  This would do MOST of what a homestead farmer or homeowner might need for 99% of household welding needs.  

The average homeowner does not need a high end welder.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Most TIG welders will do arc process as well.  Seems like the unit in the link just has the MIG process in a special gun.

A simple arc welder and some knowledge of how to use it will make the MIG a non-issue with most home/farm/shop repairs.

As or TIG, we'll I just love TIG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.....

https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%20Arc%203in1/index.php

I actually have the thermal arc 3 in one its great on mig and stick. I don't have it set up for GTAW yet. It didn't come with the torch or a pedal. just leads and a mig gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Duty Cycle
30% @ 60 Amps

That kills it for me right there.  It's a cheap toy welder.  You'll be able to lay an honest 1" bead while welding 1/8" steel before it starts giving you fits.

Cheap, tig, quality.  Choose any two you like.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top