Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2011 5:01:32 AM EDT
My one toilet flushes slowly but only during the winter. It is on an upper floor so it isn't a problem with the septic tank being full or the downstairs toilet would overflow. There is another toilet in another bathroom about 4-5 feet away and it works fine year round. The only thing I have noticed is that the slow toilet doesn't have as much fall in the drain pipe - approx 1-2" per foot. I have snaked and augered out the pipes in the past with no improvement.

Why does this only happen in the winter months?
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Condensation in the vent freezing up and blocking/partially blocking the vent???
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Condensation in the vent freezing up and blocking/partially blocking the vent???

This....Sounds like the vent is being blocked.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Not cold enough. Although I do notice that when it gets really windy the vacuum on the vent pipe actually causes the water level in the bowl to go down. It hasn't been that windy lately though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
when you say it flushes slowly, do you mean the water level in the bowls rises slowly, and doesn't siphon until the the end?

1 or 2 inches of drop per foot on  a drain of that size is a ton. even a 1/2 per foot is a pretty good slope. on a 3 or 4 inch drain an 1/8 in per foot is acceptable.

Try the bucket test, pour a 1 gallon bucket of water into the bowl, and see if the siphon is started quickly, if yes it's probably tank related, if no, its bowl related.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A vents only purpose is to keep a fixture trap from siphoning out, If there was no vent then you would have a vacume in your drain liine and it would actually drain faster.

If the toilet is old, I would just replace it as that is most likely your problem.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A vents only purpose is to keep a fixture trap from siphoning out, If there was no vent then you would have a vacume in your drain liine and it would actually drain faster.

If the toilet is old, I would just replace it as that is most likely your problem.

No, with a vacuum  behind the falling water the draining would be slower (and a lot of glub-glub as the trap siphoned).

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, with a vacuum  behind the falling water the draining would be slower (and a lot of glub-glub as the trap siphoned).

The "glub glub" is the air coming back threw the trap because with out a vent there is no where for it to go. The same thing happens when the clog is between the trap and the vent, but this is a symptom not the cause.

I am not sure what you are talking about with "falling water" but I can assure you with out something in the vent physically blocking the drain that is not his problem.

Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The "glub glub" is the air coming back threw the trap because with out a vent there is no where for it to go. The same thing happens when the clog is between the trap and the vent, but this is a symptom not the cause.

I am not sure what you are talking about with "falling water" but I can assure you with out something in the vent physically blocking the drain that is not his problem.

You can get glub-glub from air going either way through the toilet trap.

Trap it under falling water and it comes out, create a vacuum behind falling water and the air goes in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
No news from the OP?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No news from the OP?

Nope. Still doing it.

The water starts to swirl and go down but never does fully flush. I use a small bowl (aboout 1/2 gal) of water and pour it in when the bowl water is at its lowest and then it will flush fully.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you using those blue tablets in the tank ? Wife used them here and they clogged the drain holes under the bowl rim resulting in a situation similar to that which you describe. Flushing it out with hot water in the tank was the cure. Blue tabs no longer used and the problem has not returned.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you using those blue tablets in the tank ? Wife used them here and they clogged the drain holes under the bowl rim resulting in a situation similar to that which you describe. Flushing it out with hot water in the tank was the cure. Blue tabs no longer used and the problem has not returned.

Also chlorine tabs will do this too.

Check the water level in the tank. And that the refill tube is in the overflow.

Check all the rim holes, and the siphon jet.

The odd part is that it works fine in the summer.

What brand/model toilet is it? (maybe a pic)
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag for solution.

I have a love-hate relationship with toilets.

Always want to know more.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I got the tank pumped. The pumper guy said that the tank needing pumped wouldn't have anything to do with the issues I was having. However, the toilet now flushes normally so obviously there was something going on between the two.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got the tank pumped. The pumper guy said that the tank needing pumped wouldn't have anything to do with the issues I was having. However, the toilet now flushes normally so obviously there was something going on between the two.

Have the vents checked.

The vent stack for the toilet is likely partially blocked.

Not that the tanks is closer to empty it is easier to push air into it that should have gone out the vent in the first place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Was this a lower level bath?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was this a lower level bath?

Upper level.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top