Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2011 10:30:58 AM EDT
I am trying to find a source of lumber online but not having much luck.  I am looking for 1/2" hardwood lumber like they sell at Lowes but they only carry Red Oak.  Any ideas? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
look up cabinet shops in your area. Chances are good they'll mill any species to whatever size you want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Already tried that. The problem is finding the 1/2" stock. 19suburban96 that's an idea I hadn't thought of, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Already tried that. The problem is finding the 1/2" stock. 19suburban96 that's an idea I hadn't thought of, thanks!

Sounds like a good excuse for some new tools. A planer and a resaw. Get a laguna band saw.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
look up cabinet shops in your area. Chances are good they'll mill any species to whatever size you want.

This.

I checked with my local cabinet shop (who incidentally put the cabinets in my house when it was constructed) and they said they frequently sell quality wood to the public.  My local lumber yard even said to check with them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Next time you are at Lowes or Home Depot, go to the magazine rack and look at some of the woodworking magazines (Wood Magazine for example).  Flip to the back 10 pages or so and you'll see a number of online wood vendors.  

Examples
Berea Hardwoods
Steve Wall Lumber Co.

Also check your yellow pages and find a lumber mill near you.  Wurth Wood Group is the one in Charlotte.  If you didn't know about them, you never would unless you looked in the yellow pages (or google in today's world).

1/2" is likely something you are going to have to have milled if you want something in quantity.  If you are just looking for short pieces (24-36 inches), you can get that from both woodcraft as well as rockler.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]
www.rockler.com

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top