Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 5:03:55 PM EDT
Know what I mean?  I need something U-shaped that can be driven into the ground to retain the bease of a wire fence (pet-proofing).  Anyone familiar with products in this realm, your help would be most appreciated.  The home labyrinths aren't really stepping up here, & my web search-foo is wanting (or at least, relevant search terms I've tried aren't giving me what I expect/hope for).

Regards.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Pull a tight wire at the bottom. "Barbless cable" which is nothing more than barbed wire sans a barbs is very inexpensive stretches tighten than two mofos and when stretched is not easily displaced. Fasten to bottom of fence with hog rings to keep critters from walking under or rooting up fence. Infinately more desireable than the situation you describe. As ong as you fence is less than 500 l/ft the whole job will be well under $100.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pull a tight wire at the bottom. "Barbless cable" which is nothing more than barbed wire sans a barbs is very inexpensive stretches tighten than two mofos and when stretched is not easily displaced. Fasten to bottom of fence with hog rings to keep critters from walking under or rooting up fence. Infinately more desireable than the situation you describe. As ong as you fence is less than 500 l/ft the whole job will be well under $100.

I did the exact same thing with barbed wire and it worked great
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
The stock wire fencing I have actually "lines" composite 3-rail fencing, using UV-resistant heavy-duty zip-ties to secure them to the posts & rails to keep our critters in.  I don't know if heavy gauge wire between the composite posts could be strung & tightened very effectively.

A local farming co-op has some ~8" hook-shaped wire that might work for this purpose, so I'm going to check that out.  Something with a coil shape would hold in the ground better than a straight wire.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
look at home depot, they have landscape pins used for holding landscape fabric down, they come in several lengths and may work,depending on size of dog. Another idea is to use metal tent stakes. I worked for years at a local military base, found a bunch of them in an area we were cleaning up for the base. I used the ear on them to catch the bottom of the wire and drove them into the ground. You may be able to find them at a surplus store.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
We called them fence staples.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top