Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 6:18:41 AM EDT
Is it possible to turn an existing fire place into a nook to put the wood stove in? I know that you can get fire place insert stoves but I want to take the fire place out of the equation all together.

What I want to do is demolish the fire place and surrounding wall, install fireboard, and slate tiles and tap the chimney of the wood stove into the existing chimney from the fire place with out the restrictions of a fire place insert stove (ie small stove to fit small fire place).

Can this be done successfully or am I way off base?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok, thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
This forum moves slow.  Yes, It can be done, but you need to take a lot of care in doing so.  Without personally seeing your fireplace, I could not give you any serious advice or even verify 100% that it is doable.

I would consult with a reputable chimney company and see what they say.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem with asking "is it possible" is that almost anything is possible with enough time and money.

When I was a kid, we had a wood stove rigged up almost just like that. The fireplace was flush with the wall, so all that was done was that the fireplace itself was sealed off and a portal was made into the chimney for the stove pipe. We had no issues with it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The problem with asking "is it possible" is that almost anything is possible with enough time and money.

When I was a kid, we had a wood stove rigged up almost just like that. The fireplace was flush with the wall, so all that was done was that the fireplace itself was sealed off and a portal was made into the chimney for the stove pipe. We had no issues with it.

Yea, I see your point with the "Is it possible". Ill be careful with that next time.

I will post a pic of the area when i can get back home to my camera.

Fire places are nice and all but provide little to no actual functional heat. Just bought the house and can finally make adjustments with out asking a landlord.

Does anyone know if a permit for this kind of thing is needed in Va? I hate asking permission from anyone for anything dealing with my property but if I ever want to sell the house....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I see your point with the "Is it possible". Ill be careful with that next time.

I will post a pic of the area when i can get back home to my camera.

Fire places are nice and all but provide little to no actual functional heat. Just bought the house and can finally make adjustments with out asking a landlord.

Does anyone know if a permit for this kind of thing is needed in Va? I hate asking permission from anyone for anything dealing with my property but if I ever want to sell the house....

The people you really need to talk to are your insurance company.  Failure to do so, and then do it the way they want, will leave you uncovered if an incident arises from the stove.  Whatever you do, make sure you please them.  Unless you have the spare cash to plunk down on a new house.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top