Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2010 8:33:29 AM EDT
I'm wanting to replace one of my toilets, this is something i've never done before. I watched a few videos and it looks super straight forward and like a 30-60 minute job max. Am i just watching the pros make it look easy or is this something a novice DIY'er can tackle on his own?

My wife is telling me to hire a plumber, but i'm sure to even get one to the house is gonna run $40-50.

Should i give it a go or have it done by someone else? Any tips?
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Very easy.  I'm a home remodeling 'tard, and even I did it.  Might take you an hour, but so what?  

Just don't re-use the wax ring from the old toilet   and you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Easy job.  
shut off water
flush toilet and hold the handle down to drain as much water out of the tank as you can.
plunge the remaining water down the drain or use a wet vac to suck up the remaining water in the bowel and tank
disconnect water supply line at toilet
disconnect bolts at the floor
remove old toilet
clean out the old wax ring remains

put new toilet together
careful when tightening the tank bolts that you don't crack the porcelan.  
insert new wax ring to hole in floor
insert new floor bolts (t-bolts)
tighten down snug just so the toilet doesn't move around
connect water supply line (preferrably replacing water supply line with stainless steel line)
turn water on

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It's all good and well unless something goes wrong. I've pulled and replaced toilets before doing flooring, but when we decided to buy new ones, we got the plumber to do the install. There was a problem with the way the lead ring was set into the pipe that could make it leak with the new toilet. He fixed this, but I would have never known. Also, they should be bonded if they are reputable and if it breaks later, they have to fix it and pay for damages.

Down side is they charge $120/hr around here. But toilets are quick and you can take out the old one to cut his time on the job. He should still haul it off for you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Theres alot of shit envolved

Just kidding,  it's not all that hard,  Like the guy said above, don't reuse the wax ring
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Not too tough, just expect to have to go to the store a couple of times.  Buy an extra wax seal because you might mess one up the first time.  Don't over tighten the bolts and go slow.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Replacing toilets is a basic DIY needto know skill.LOL one time had a plumber come and try to clear a toilet in my rental home.  He told me to remove and replace would be $500!!!

Do it yourself and learn something
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Not that hard as long as you have the strength to pick up the toilet. Worst case,you find the toilet flange is badly broken or something,call a plumber and you saved yourself the $20 labor of him taking the old one off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd give it a try. Once you do one you'll see what it's all about. Worse thing that happened to me was the new toilet fell a few inches onto a tile floor and shattered. Make sure your grip isn't compromised by a wet floor in the work area and wet hands. Not as messy a job as it may first seem. if you got a buddy who has done it before have him help, you'll learn more tips.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright I'll give it a go. Any specific brand toilet I should get or avoid? No clue how to choose a toilet, all I know is I want #2 to fully go down!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Toto toilets are what goes into higher end homes around here.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#11]
As mentioned, easy job.  One of the easiest home repair jobs UNLESS your toilet has been leaking and the floor is rotted and the flange is rotted away.  Then, it's not so easy!!

Couple suggestions:

Go with oval toilets instead of round.  They are so much more comfortable to "use".  

I have and recommend the Cadet 3.  Lowes sells them.  You want the biggest trapway you can buy and make sure that the trapway is fully glazed.  With the largest glazed trapway, you should never have problems flushing the toilet.  I have never plugged up my Cadet 3 toilets (have 3 of them) and I can plug a toilet up (if you know what I mean!!)  Cheap toilets have unglazed, small trapways and they plug up all the time.  

Do NOT caulk between the toilet and the floor.  You want to know immediately if your toilet gasket is leaking.  Caulking between the floor and the toilet will eventually rot your subfloor.  

Buy the thick wax gaskets with the reinforcing urethane ring.  Do NOT buy the non wax gaskets.  

Make sure your flange is well secured to the floor before you reinstall the toilet.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Easy.  Keep in mind that not all toilets are made the same AND they can come with different mechanisms inside where the local HD or Lowes may not carry those parts .  For safety all of those toilets on display are glued shut so you cannot look inside one to see what hardware is in it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#13]
its fairly easy a tip that makes it  a little easier is if the toilet is to heavy or bulky to get out in one piece take the tank off first and when installing the new one install the bowl then put the tank in place
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Very easy job!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks everyone for the replies. I went ahead and did it myself. Took me about an hour total.

It was not difficult at all, you guys were all correct. The biggest issue i ran into was removal of the old one. The bolts were rusted and made it rather difficult to get taken apart.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It's all fun and games until you fuck up the flange
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I went ahead and did it myself. Took me about an hour total.

It was not difficult at all, you guys were all correct. The biggest issue i ran into was removal of the old one. The bolts were rusted and made it rather difficult to get taken apart.

So, what brand did you go with...

is it too early to tell if it's up to the mission??

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Went with an American Standard Cadet 3, space saver model. It ran me $169 i think. Was talking to the salesmen and he was really pushing the Cadet series and an above poster mentioned it so that's the way i went.

Haven't put it through its paces yet, but the flushing on it is rather weird to me...

It seems to almost burp and slightly fill then drain extremely fast whereas toilets i'm used to tend to sit there and spin more then drain. When i googled it of course there was a ton of vids on the cadet's. Seems to look like it's flushing normal, can anyone comment? It is just a different kind of flush then i'm used to.

This is dangerously close to a poop thread
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Went with an American Standard Cadet 3, space saver model. It ran me $169 i think. Was talking to the salesmen and he was really pushing the Cadet series and an above poster mentioned it so that's the way i went.

Haven't put it through its paces yet, but the flushing on it is rather weird to me...

It seems to almost burp and slightly fill then drain extremely fast whereas toilets i'm used to tend to sit there and spin more then drain. When i googled it of course there was a ton of vids on the cadet's. Seems to look like it's flushing normal, can anyone comment? It is just a different kind of flush then i'm used to.

That's how its supposed do it.  It's working correctly.  

They are nice toilets.  I will use them again and recommend them to anyone who tells me that they want to buy one.  

I'm sure there others out there that are just as good though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#20]
easy.  just be sure to use new t-bolts and new wax ring!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#21]
you missed the part where the old flange is rusted to paper thin, and the floor is rotted out. or its rusted to nothing and set in a concrete slab
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how its supposed do it.  It's working correctly.  

They are nice toilets.  I will use them again and recommend them to anyone who tells me that they want to buy one.  

I'm sure there others out there that are just as good though.

We got Kohlers, but yes, the water flow is completely different. Based on my experience at my siblings homes that were all built in the 90's with crappy first generation low flow bowls that *ahem* did not do the job well at all, I was very hesitant to replace the old fashioned 1980's thrones in my house. I am happy to say that our new toilets have worked 100% of the time.

They finally got it right after 15 years.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have the AS Cadet and it is great. It has never failed me. I have two in my house and would get another in a heartbeat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Now that i've been using it for a week I can say the Cadet's are nice units. No problems so far

I'll probably replace the other 2 in the house down the road with these.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top