Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 9:57:56 AM EDT
Here's my wellhead.  Do I need to worry about this freezing in the winter?

Wife says no.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
No. mine is exactly the same and it has never froze up here in the mtns of western PA. The pitless adapter is down about 4-5 feet usually wich is the depth at which the pipe to the house is run it is usually located far enough underground to prevent freezing. The cap and exposed casing dont have any actual water in them (you can undo the nut on the side and lift the lid and look down the well no problem) the water depth should be printed under the cap and unless its like under 3 feet to the water no way its gonna freeze.

that one looks like it was just drilled.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  

Dang.  Looks like the wife was right for the SECOND time.

That picture was taken about a year ago right after it was drilled.

I'm going to say the water line is about 4 feet below ground line so it sounds like we're GTG.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
yep should be GTG....

Though the paranoid voice in side me worries about four standard bolts being all that is between me and someone dropping something nasty down my well
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The only thing I can recommend is if the bolts on the well cover aren't stainless steel, that you replace them with stainless steel bolts.  Just in case you have to open it up sometime down the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top