Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 2:34:35 PM EDT
Anybody know any good resources to learn knife making?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
see if there are local blacksmiths in your area.  or blacksmithing schools.  they're getting scarce now a days
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
see if there are local blacksmiths in your area.  or blacksmithing schools.  they're getting scarce now a days

Blacksmiths are a dying breed.  My Grandfather was a blacksmith, but later in life became a machinist as work for blacksmiths was few and far between.  I spent summers with him when I was younger, and he would do a little smithing here and there.  I remember how hot it was in the shop when he was working metal.  I recall the extra time he took to temper or harden metal, especially if he was making a tool.  It was neat too, we would past by some places and my grand mother would mention how grandpa had built the handrails on this building or the sign holder on that building.  

If you can still find someone who hand works metal and steel, jump on the chance to see if you can befriend them and maybe do a little apprenticeship on the side.  If anyone shoes horses in your area or restores old farm equipment they may be a good start too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blacksmiths are a dying breed.  My Grandfather was a blacksmith, but later in life became a machinist as work for blacksmiths was few and far between.  I spent summers with him when I was younger, and he would do a little smithing here and there.  I remember how hot it was in the shop when he was working metal.  I recall the extra time he took to temper or harden metal, especially if he was making a tool.  It was neat too, we would past by some places and my grand mother would mention how grandpa had built the handrails on this building or the sign holder on that building.  

If you can still find someone who hand works metal and steel, jump on the chance to see if you can befriend them and maybe do a little apprenticeship on the side.  If anyone shoes horses in your area or restores old farm equipment they may be a good start too.

your grandfather sounds like a great guy I would love to find somebody like that around here...i know i have a few screw/fastener shops but i'm not sure if I have any metal workers in the imediate area...

Actually I could probably find some from the washington hometown forum that wouldn't mind if i took a swing by their shop...

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to the Blade Subforum over in the Armory Forum.  They have tutorials, etc. and a good group who know their knives.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
www.bladeforums.com
www.knifeforums.com
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I would say get a grinder and an old file and go to work.See what happens.Take it from there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would say get a grinder and an old file and go to work.See what happens.Take it from there.

I've always heard that a grinder is a no-no when it comes to knife making (given, i've never done it myself) because it is easy to mess up the hardening of the metal?

and sorry for not posting this in the blade forum...i went full-retard and totaly forgot we had one

edit: and spelled totally wrong

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top