Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2010 3:37:48 PM EDT
Anyone know a source for seat slats for wooden rocking chaiirs?  Our puppy has chewed up two of the woven bamboo type seats around the sides and I was going to attempt to replace them with the wooden slat type seat.  Should be a fun project.

Edited to add:  He's a young retriever pup - in the paraphrased words of the great Lewis Grizzard, pound for pound a retriever pup is the most destructive animal on earth!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You do mean you are looking for a piece of wood, right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes  Looking for the contoured seat slats for front porch rockers.  I guess they'rea kennedy style or some such.  These have the cane woven seats but I'd like to try adapting them to slats instead.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I could do a flat seat but the contoured would sit better - at least I was thinking it would.   I guess i will just have to pick up some half inch flat stock and rip it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, there are so many variations of that style rocker I wouldn't know where to look for something that would suit your particular needs.
I'd be glad to run you through the methods of designing and building your own, if it's really worth it to you.

If you're interested, post a pic of where we are starting from. Afterward, we can talk about what tools make the job most easy and what you can get by with.
These chairs have been made for a long time and have been adapted to have wooden "slats". The original design had the herringbone weave on the detachable cane seat that makes the seat more comfortable and provides firm support without being too rigid.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Edited to add:  He's a young retriever pup - in the paraphrased words of the great Lewis Grizzard, pound for pound a retriever pup is the most destructive animal on earth!

I had a retriever for 14 years. One day when he was young, he noticed a small spot on the hallway wall. By the time I got home from work he chewed through the drywall to the bedroom. Looked like he worked on the 120v line in there too, enough to have tasted it, quite a few times!

The good news is, as he grew up he mellowed out a bit. In my opinion, they are one of the best dogs you could have chosen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the offer.  I may take you up on it.  

I need to look at how these seats are attached.  As you can tell, I haven't actually started anything.  Just fishing for info and possibilities.   If I can remove the cane seats and fit some sanded slats in and it be comfortable, I might just go with it.  In my minds eye I was picturing the more contoured slats but that might be beyond my skill level at this point.  Since the wife will probably put cushions back on the seats if she thinks he won't chew them up at that stage, the flat slats may be the way for me to do it

Did you make that chair in your pic?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you for the offer.  I may take you up on it.  

I need to look at how these seats are attached.  As you can tell, I haven't actually started anything.  Just fishing for info and possibilities.   If I can remove the cane seats and fit some sanded slats in and it be comfortable, I might just go with it.  In my minds eye I was picturing the more contoured slats but that might be beyond my skill level at this point.  Since the wife will probably put cushions back on the seats if she thinks he won't chew them up at that stage, the flat slats may be the way for me to do it

Did you make that chair in your pic?

Naw, I just snagged it from Google Images to make sure we were on the same page. I have made a couple handfuls of chairs, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the craft stores have chair caning supplies...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top