Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:22:52 PM EDT
Bathtub has a standard drain and overflow setup.  Has never drained well and I think I figured out why.

I took the overflow/diverter cover off and the stopper linkage has broken in half.  The stopper is stuck in there and I have no way to get it out.  The linkage was very corroded and brittle.  

Is it possible to get the stopper out somehow?  Seems like a tool could be used to grab it and pull it out.  

Second issue:  The two bolts that attached the diverter cover to the overflow have both snapped due to corrosion.  There is nothing to grab on to with pliers to twist out.  I guess an easy out might work?  

What I'm considering doing trying to pull the stuck stopped out with some kind of tool and then using silicone caulk to affix an overflow cover to the opening and forgetting about the two screws.

Any ideas, especially on the stopper being stuck?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking a hook and chain would work if the hook was small enough.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what you mean, can you take a picture or do an mspaint of it?

Zip-It can clear soft clogs, and there are countless ways to attack hard ones, but they depend on the specifics.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Either one of the spring loader "grabber tools" or a coat hanger straightened out. Bend a very small hook on the end. I think you're fishing for a bronze or plastic "cup".
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not sure what you mean, can you take a picture or do an mspaint of it?

Part number 7 - the cylinder with the linkage.  The linkage broke and I suspect the stopper (the cylinder) is heavily corroded and stuck to the pipe.  

I tried fishing it out with stainless steel fishing hooks and steel wire, but it isn't working.

A coat hanger won't work - not strong enough.  

A plumber is coming over tomorrow after I get home from work, but I really don't need to spend money on this if I don't have to.  My other bathroom is demolished and I need the $$ to finish that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
what's on the other side of the wall for that?

you may need to cut an access hole from the backside, and remove the from #13 up
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what's on the other side of the wall for that?

you may need to cut an access hole from the backside, and remove the from #13 up

Sounds reasonable.

Here's what I'm looking at now.

And here's a pic of a little further down that waste and overflow pipe:

I don't know a lot about plumbing.  Is this a compression fit or does it simply screw off and I can screw a new one one with some teflon tape?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#7]
A coat hanger is what the plumber will use. Get a hold of the bronze cup across the middle cross piece. Wiggle it a little bit. When it gets to the top, you will drop it, several times...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know a lot about plumbing.  Is this a compression fit or does it simply screw off and I can screw a new one one with some teflon tape?

You don't want to unscrew that fitting unless you're replacing everything from the tub down to that joint. Then you better let the plumber have your money.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
How do I replace from the fitting up?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

quote]

Soak the fitting with penetrating oil(Kroil/Liquid Wrench, etc). Hold the pipe with a second wrench while unscrewing the fitting with another wrench. The piece on the tub probably has a screw type fitting holding it to the tub. You might want to loosen that , too.
You don't want to break that joint at the bottom if you can help it. It looks like a lead joint. Whats below all that?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Soak the fitting with penetrating oil(Kroil/Liquid Wrench, etc). Hold the pipe with a second wrench while unscrewing the fitting with another wrench. The piece on the tub probably has a screw type fitting holding it to the tub. You might want to loosen that , too.
You don't want to break that joint at the bottom if you can help it. It looks like a lead joint. Whats below all that?

Here are some pics of that joint from my other bathroom.  Everything else has been identical about the two bathrooms so I believe this is the same too.

The waste and overflow just seems to press fit into the 2" ID fitting in the ground.  I have no idea if this is a normal configuration or what.  Home was built in 1976.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Well...

Forgive me here, but...

How did you get the *OTHER* one out???...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well...

Forgive me here, but...

How did you get the *OTHER* one out???...

It just pulled out of the 2" ID opening in the ground.  

I don't want to replace the entire waste and overflow assembly.  Not even sure if that's possible without removing the tub.  Just want to replace from that junction up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I must be missing something. If you can disconnect the whole thing that easy, just take the whole assembly off. Its a lot easier to rebuild on your work bench than hanging upside down through a hole in the wall.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#15]
How am I supposed to get it out without lifting the tub?  If I lift the tub, it would crack the tile and do all sorts of damage.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks like two screws hold the tub overflow.Might have to replace a gasket, otherwise, plumber's putty.
Use the 2nd wrench to hold pressure opposite the way you're removing the nut. Everything should lift out.
Clean out the icky stuff, get new parts, assemble the reverse. Old pipe can be fragile. Don't crush it...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Edit to add: see above post

Quoted:

that nut loosens all the way off the threads, and then (with persuasion) it lifts up and out.

it is just a slip joint, I'm sure years have made them tight, and the rubber gasket under that nut is probably stuck, but carefully twist the upper tube, while holding the tee, and it will work its way out.

Also, in looking at the other pics for your other bath, that piece of PVC shouldn't have come out of the trap so easily.  Was there a rubber gasket in there?

As far as replacing the whole waste and overflow, if you reach under the tub, I think you'll find you wouldn't need to lift the tub (not that it isn't a pain in the ass).
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]

is there a nut there?(at the bottom where the brass pipe goes into the plastic) or is it just caulked in?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/cowjuiceranch/hall%20bathroom/panel4.jpg

is there a nut there?(at the bottom where the brass pipe goes into the plastic) or is it just caulked in?

It's just pressed in there.  On the bathroom that is demo'd, it was loose and I pulled it out by hand easily.  I assume that the removal of the bathtub (an ordeal) made the connection so loose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quick update:

I couldn't figure out what type of connection it was between the waste/overflow and the house even with internet searching.  I had a plumber come out today to fix it.

It took him 2 hour and he replaced the entire waste and overflow.  I asked about how that connects to the house.  He said it screws on plus there is a gasket.  I still don't really understand.  I need to see a diagram or something.

The stopper for the diverter was solidly corroded/stuck in the brass pipe.

He then removed a gob  of hair with a snake and was done for $550 out the door.  

The diverter now works and the drain drains better than it ever has since I've lived here (3 1/2 years).

If my other bathroom wasn't demo'd, I'd have tackled this but with the uncertainty of how the connection between house and drain/overflow is, I wasn't confident I could get it back together and still be able to take a shower every day for work!

Thanks for your help guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top