Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 11:47:39 AM EDT
Yesterday my 14 yo son was mowing and he says he just shut the mower off to talk to his sister and then he couldn't get it started again.   I went down and couldn't get it started either.   We pushed it up to the house, and put the battery charger on it, and it was down to about 9%.

Well, it was all charged up this morning, and I went out to finish mowing and it still won't start.   The battery tries to start it, but it doesn't "fire up".    It is a Craftsman YS4500 with an 18 or 20 HP B&S Intek Gold engine.    I am mechanically inclined, but engine/mower deficient so ANY possible help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I know it's a stupid question, but is the blade lever in neutral position or sommething wrong with deadman switch under seat
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a coil fail on a rider one time and it acted just like this.

Good luck getting it sorted out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Check for fire and get back with us.......
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Basics first: clean all battery connections, check for loose connections, check battery voltage (should be between 12.4-12.7), charge if needed.
Try a jump start.

When you turn the ignition to "Start" what happens?
1-Nothing
2-A click and nothing
3-Engine tries to turn over but hangs on compression stroke
4-Engine turns over slowly
5-Engine turns over at correct speed but won't start.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Start simple. Is the parking brake on and the PTO off? Do you have spark, fuel?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a small cylinder with a wire going to it on the bottom of the carb bowl?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it was gassed up, PTO was off, and everything else.

I think it was a loose connection or something.   I charged it again, and my neighbor came over and wiggled a few wires, and it started right up.

Thank goodness, I didn't want to have to mow the whole lawn with the push mower.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, it was gassed up, PTO was off, and everything else.

I think it was a loose connection or something.   I charged it again, and my neighbor came over and wiggled a few wires, and it started right up.

Thank goodness, I didn't want to have to mow the whole lawn with the push mower.

Thanks!

Its not over yet. Take some time and find out what connection was loose so it doesnt happen to you again.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing to do with the starting situation..but the V twin Intec engines are known to have air cleaner/filter issues..as in 'dusting' the engines.

Part of the issue is the air filter itself...loses seal after some use. My 22 hp Intec was starting to get a dust trail past the filter. A new filter seems to have resolved this issue...but it is something an owner should keep an eye on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top