Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 8:44:28 PM EDT
I have a Kenmore 70 series that stopped heating.

Heating element is good, digital multimeter indicated the thermal fuse had 0 continuity.

bought a new thermal cutoff fuse and it blew as well.

Bought a second thermal cutoff fuse, installed but I would like to know what is causing the problem. obviously overheating, however the thermostats check out, the heating element has some charred lint on it but when I do start it I can smell something burning.

All ducts,vents, and outside pathway are clean and free, not even a pinch or tangle. even tore apart the dryer and hand cleaned everything to make sure nothing was preventing air flow or build up.

So what could be causing repeated component failure?

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Heating element is good, digital multimeter indicated the thermal fuse had 0 continuity.

Bought a second thermal cutoff fuse, installed but I would like to know what is causing the problem. obviously overheating, however the thermostats check out, the heating element has some charred lint on it but when I do start it I can smell something burning.

All ducts,vents, and outside pathway are clean and free, not even a pinch or tangle. even tore apart the dryer and hand cleaned everything to make sure nothing was preventing air flow or build up.

Short to ground in the heating element?

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
ohh good one, didn't think about that I'll check that out and update. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:56:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short to ground in the heating element?

Yup, Always OHM out across the leads [unplugged] then each side to ground. You should only get a read across the end leads. A KM70 is probably a W-pool, easy replacement of the element if it is. The other part of is might be a internal plug of some sort but I don't see that much on a top mounted lint screen. GE has an issue with it though, they will plug up under the lint trap in the front an block air flow to the blower wheel.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
took the thing apart again and found where a grounding wire has the insulation "cut into" by some bracket, unhooked the bracket and electrical taped the break ran for 45 min no problem.

thanks for suggesting I would have never looked for a ground fault [/beer]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top