Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2010 9:59:52 AM EDT
it's on a swisher trail mower if that helps

starts like a champ, mows like a champ for a few minutes till it gets hot then it starts to 'cut out' and finally dies.

won't restart till it's cool again

thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem is probably electrical or compression related.

Check for presence of spark immediately after it dies.  If no spark check condensor and coil.
If there is spark check compression when hot vs when cold.
Is there a significant amount of blow by or smoke when it is losing power?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#2]
How much oil ya got in that thing?
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
it's on a swisher trail mower if that helps

starts like a champ, mows like a champ for a few minutes till it gets hot then it starts to 'cut out' and finally dies.

won't restart till it's cool again

thoughts?

I had the exact same problem with my lawn tractor I replaced the condensor and it runs fine now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
mouse nest up in cowling blocking air flow around head mice love my lawn tractor they think it's a condo
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How much oil ya got in that thing?

in the middle of the 'hashed' area on the dipstick

–– no mice in it - that was earlier in the spring
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Could be the gas cap not venting, little vacum operated fuel pump(if it has one), bad stator coil(gets hot, loses spark), crappy spark plug...etc.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could be the gas cap not venting, little vacum operated fuel pump(if it has one), bad stator coil(gets hot, loses spark), crappy spark plug...etc.

Listen to this man. I would guess though, that it's probably the ignition coil.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#8]
take a very very small nail poke TINY hole in top of gas cap, or jsut use yhour smallest drillbit, sounds like gas cap venting to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Right after it dies, check for spark.  If it has good spark, remove the spark plug and check for good spark at the spark plug.  If that is good, loosen the gas cap.  If it fires up and runs fine, it is gas cap venting.

BUT . . . what I am laying my money on, from my experience, is the valves.  They are most likely out of adjustment.  If they are out of adjustment, then the seats are probably burnt a little, which will require a full valve job.  Seen this a lot with mowers, and 9 times out of 10, it is the valves.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
When I still had my four wheeler it started doing the same thing.  Turns out the spark plug had a crack in it (best I can figure) that would hold spark until it heated up and then flake out and the motor would die.  Replaced the plug and it ran perfectly after that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top