Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2010 4:03:33 AM EDT
ok guys here are two pictures of  am finishng the basement all is going well. However I need to replace 4 of the little basement windows. The walls are poured concrete. The windows have a metal frame set into them. What do I do to replace with a new window. These leak and suck. Im ok if the new ones do not open. thing else will fit. I can remove the alum. window easly but I dont think anything will fit in the opening. Do I have to remove the metal frame?

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in a similar situation but with basement windows far older than that. House was built in 1927 and the windows are a mix of steel hinged and single hung wood. I would measure the opening from the steel frame and order widows to fit that opening. You will have to measure for each window and record your measurements so you remember which window goes where. When you get your new windows, shim for plumb and level, fill gaps with foam, trim the foam when dry and seal with silicone. Pre drill the screw holes on the sides of the windows using the screw holes in the window as a guide. You might get lucky and find the size you want in stock but more than likely, you will need to order them custom just like me. Almost forgot, I would not remove the steel frame, it is probably the header and lintel holding up the brick and is structural like mine so work with it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Im just not sure how i am gonna be able to finish the inside iff i put an insert in it. This is the only thing holding me up from drywalling as I have studded the whole basement out this weekend
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the opening....You might want to look into glass block, or  Glass Block windows. Most big "Home" stores (Lowes, Home Depot) carry some pre-made block windows. But you might have to make your own out of separate blocks + Frame.
In any case I would suggest that at least some of them open for ventilation.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Ill have to look into the block windows this weekend. Not worried about them not opening. I should have elaborated that I have two large windows that open down there also
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top