Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 9:54:09 AM EDT
Well, I've decided to re-route my ACOG money into getting a new HDTV for the family.  I want to get decent a quality tv that will last awhile, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.  I'm also not real big into home theater that I need to have the latest and greatest.  In other words, I don't want to pay extra money for something that won't make that big of a difference.

Basically, looking to spend around 700 bucks, but will spend more if I have to.  40 inches probably going to be big enough.  It will be used for paying X-Box 360 as well as tv/DVD's.

Words of advice?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
  Sony, Mitsubishi and????. damnit....can't remember the third one. We got the Mitsubishi and have been really pleased. Sony's are really good too. When we bought ours, we went to half a dozen stores and they all said Sony....Mitsubishi or ???. Somemone help a brother out.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]

I have two Vizio HDTV's that I have been very happy with .... Not a lot of hype or bells and whistles but very nice TVs.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies so far, guys.  I just talked to a friend and he said I need one with a 120 refresh rate.  Yay or nay?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I just talked to a friend and he said I need one with a 120 refresh rate. Yay or nay?

my memory is getting bad....if you are going to watch blu ray or some gaming the refresh rate is important. Sadly I don't know what that number is, and the way things are changing....it's probably a moving target anyway. You said you were going to hook up an Xbox. If you have a Gamestop store or something like that there is usually someone in there that can give you the latest greatest....at least at ours.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, I've decided to re-route my ACOG money into getting a new HDTV for the family.  I want to get decent a quality tv that will last awhile, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg.  I'm also not real big into home theater that I need to have the latest and greatest.  In other words, I don't want to pay extra money for something that won't make that big of a difference.

Basically, looking to spend around 700 bucks, but will spend more if I have to.  40 inches probably going to be big enough.  It will be used for paying X-Box 360 as well as tv/DVD's.

Words of advice?

Samsung FTW.

Before I moved away, I got my mom to buy a 40" 1080p samsung...it was EPIC. So I convinced my best friend to buy one, and he bought a 46" 1080 samsung.
He then loved it so much, he convinced another friend to buy one, who bought a 46"..... I love samsung....LOVE!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my 46" panasonic viera plasma 1080P at costco for 950 during christmas.

AWESOME TV, nice enough that it won't be obsolete enough, yet cheap enough where it won't slaughter most bank accounts.

Rule of thumb is....

PLASMA- Panasonic, Pioneer

LCD- Sony, Samsung, Sharp
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I've decided to re-route my ACOG money into getting a new HDTV for the family. I want to get decent a quality tv that will last awhile, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I'm also not real big into home theater that I need to have the latest and greatest. In other words, I don't want to pay extra money for something that won't make that big of a difference.

Basically, looking to spend around 700 bucks, but will spend more if I have to. 40 inches probably going to be big enough. It will be used for paying X-Box 360 as well as tv/DVD's.

Words of advice?

Samsung FTW.

Before I moved away, I got my mom to buy a 40" 1080p samsung...it was EPIC. So I convinced my best friend to buy one, and he bought a 46" 1080 samsung.

He then loved it so much, he convinced another friend to buy one, who bought a 46"..... I love samsung....LOVE!

Samsung was the third one I was looking for.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks for the replies so far, guys.  I just talked to a friend and he said I need one with a 120 refresh rate.  Yay or nay?

You do not need 120Hz it would be nice but in your price range IMO you are better off getting a bigger 60hz panel than a smaller 120Hz.

You might want to take a look at Panasonics plasmas in that price range.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm getting this panasonic plasma hdtv.

I looked at the manual on panasonic's website and I thought it had something about gaming setting and burn in protection.

Nick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top