Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#1]
desert shield desert storm, marines, good movie
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
its cool if you dont like action.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I found it to be kind of juvenile in a way, but I was able to identify with many of the experiences portrayed in the movie, so I still enjoyed it.  The technical advisers did a good job getting the details of the period correct (i.e., chocolate brown MRE's, A2's, etc.).

It's not a waste of time, but not a "must see" by any stretch.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Total B.S. movie. Told by an author who took great dramaitc license. Swofford included so many USMC legends and cliches' that anyone who was in the Corps can tell his story is mostly made up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Total B.S. movie. Told by an author who took great dramaitc license. Swofford included so many USMC legends and cliches' that anyone who was in the Corps can tell his story is mostly made up.

This.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I struggled how to describe to my wife what the comradery in the corps was like until this movie came out.  although alot of usmc cliche's are used, it seemed to portray they we acted toward each other pretty well. The rest of the movie however I cant vouche for because I was not there.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]
gayness
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite part is the ending monologue.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Not worth going out of your way to watch.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
"A man fires a rifle for many years.  Then he goes to war, and afterwords he comes home and he sees that whatever else he might do with his life, build a house, love a woman, change his sons diaper, he will always remain a Jarhead, and all the Jarheads killing and dying they will always be me.  We are still in the desert."
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The gulf's version of "A Thin Red Line".
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I read the book but did not see the movie..  The book does not portray the USMC in a favorable light.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I read the book but did not see the movie..  The book does not portray the USMC in a favorable light.

That's because the book is full of shit, and the movie is a flowing river of feces.

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because the book is full of shit, and the movie is a flowing river of feces.

Semper Fi!

Good summary. It's a flowing river of feces.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"A man fires a rifle for many years.  Then he goes to war, and afterwords he comes home and he sees that whatever else he might do with his life, build a house, love a woman, change his sons diaper, he will always remain a Jarhead, and all the Jarheads killing and dying they will always be me.  We are still in the desert."

I agree.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

That quote is a really good summation of what the point of the movie was all about.  The basic idea is that he joined the Marine Corps and he both loved it and hated it, he eventually hated it enough to leave but in the end realized that whether he likes it or not he will always be a Marine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]
sucked
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Terrible.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:59:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1

I watched about 5 minutes of it & then turned it off. I had rather watch 2 hours of "Gomer Pyle, USMC", it was more realistic.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#21]
First rate crap fest.  Swofford is a punk and probably a queer.  Any Marine that would backstab the Corps to gain brownie points with a professor at the Iowa Writers' Workshop would definitely suck a dick in exchange for a Mojito or a glass of White Zinfandel.  Also, the movie was fucking stupid.  Cornball, retarded, STUPID!  This movie could be used as a diagnostic test for adult-onset mental retardation.  If you enjoyed Jarhead, consult a physician.  Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that Swofford wears patent leather loafers, carries a murse, has a "We Can" pin stuck to a pink Che t-shirt, voted against Prop 8 and would suck your dick if he thought you were cute, or Cuban, or asked nicely.  Also, Swofford sucks dick, and the movie was fucking lame.  You should also be aware that SWOFFORD SUCKS DICK!(And the movie is lame.)
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Perhaps it's not my place to say but... the guy seemed to do a lot of fucking whining for a guy that never actually got shot at.

For someone who served in combat, I'd say Swof got off light. He ought to dry his his tears and thank his lucky stars that nothing really awful happened to him.

I got a few laughs out of the movie... but no great insight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I wasn't impressed with it.  I can't stand gylienthal or however it is spelled.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Its ok. Kinda boring at times. I was expecting a little more action and it was a let down. I do watch it when it come son cable every now and then, but I wouldn't go out and rent it or buy it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#26]
BS

Swafford admits that the scene where the Marine gets shot during training was made up for dramatic purposes.

Its a movie/book as seen from a LCPL who never grew up, which is sad because he is 37 now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top