Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 1:40:17 PM EDT
Can't search the movie forum for some reason or I'd post in a previous thread.

My first complain is why was the father's wife cast? She wasn't in the book, why is she in the movie?

Second, while I agree, soundtracks are necessary, in this movie I think it would have been better without. Especially with the "flute" scene, it would have accented it so much more, and truly contrasted it against the otherwise musicless background.

I'm getting a bad feeling about it, but I'll see it none the less.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife is in the book, she shown in flashbacks but she there. In fact I remember there's a part in the book where she talks about leaving the father and the boy, when he, the boy, was younger.
I agree with you no soundtrack would be better for this film.
I've seen some stills of the movie and IMHO they don't seem to catch the mood of the book I got from reading it. The picture of the boy and the father walking down the road with the shopping cart, looked like two homeless people wandering down a backroad .

Dave
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The wife is in the book, she shown in flashbacks but she there. In fact I remember there's a part in the book where she talks about leaving the father and the boy, when he, the boy, was younger.
I agree with you no soundtrack would be better for this film.
I've seen some stills of the movie and IMHO they don't seem to catch the mood of the book I got from reading it. The picture of the boy and the father walking down the road with the shopping cart, looked like two homeless people wandering down a backroad .

Dave

I should have been more specific... from what I understand, she is in the movie, not in flashback.

But that's just how I took the commentary I read.

And I agree, they look homeless.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the pictures we have seen might be somewhat pre-production.  I would hope that the floating and falling ash will be added in post-production.  The entire movie needs to be a foggier/ashier than the pictures we've seen.

And as I understand it, they've slightly expanded the wife's role in the movie.  I THINK she's still in flashbacks, but in an expanded way.  I'm going to watch this movie, but I just don't think it's possible to capture the style of the book.  The book is written from the perspective of someone who is tired--so tired he is introspective at random.  I just don't think you can do that with a movie.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top