Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2008 10:25:04 AM EDT
I just purchased a $40" Sony Bravia. I purchased a $50 cable at Sears and returned it when I found this Monoprice cables they also sell all other cables at super low prices. I ordered 2 HDMI cables for under 15 bucks shipped. I was skeptical, but these are great cables and I notice no video degradation. Shipping was fast too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]

It's digital.  HDMI is digital.

You could run the signal through a paperclip and you'd notice no degradation.

-p.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's digital.  HDMI is digital.

You could run the signal through a paperclip and you'd notice no degradation.

-p.

Funny how so m any people buy into bullshit.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My bad, I'm just getting into this. I can't believe I wasted $4.19 on a stupid HDMI cable. I'm going to raid the office supply room for paper clips.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just purchased a $40" Sony Bravia. I purchased a $50 cable at Sears and returned it when I found this Monoprice cables they also sell all other cables at super low prices. I ordered 2 HDMI cables for under 15 bucks shipped. I was skeptical, but these are great cables and I notice no video degradation. Shipping was fast too.

Give Monoprices wall mount brackets a try, cheap and they work.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My bad, I'm just getting into this. I can't believe I wasted $4.19 on a stupid HDMI cable. I'm going to raid the office supply room for paper clips.

Yeah I tried connecting my digital cable box to my TV with a paper clip but the paper clip was too short. So now I'm stuck buying a HDMI cable I guess.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#6]
yep, i've been using them for about a year now..

With digital signals you either receive the signal or not.. no fuzzy fiffy connections like analog.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I tried connecting my digital cable box to my TV with a paper clip but the paper clip was too short. So now I'm stuck buying a HDMI cable I guess.

!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two words for ya: Wet noodles.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

!!

somebody hook that man up with a soldering iron!
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#10]
When the guy was here installing my dish, with HD programming, he says, "You're gonna need an HDMI cable to display the HD channels on your HDTV. The dish doesn't come with one. We don't sell them, but I keep a few in the truck. They are $45 each."

"Nah, just steal the one off the DVD player for now."

10 minutes later, while he's still doing the install, I logged off Monoprice after having bought 2 4' cables for $8.86 delivered.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When the guy was here installing my dish, with HD programming, he says, "You're gonna need an HDMI cable to display the HD channels on your HDTV. The dish doesn't come with one. We don't sell them, but I keep a few in the truck. They are $45 each."

"Nah, just steal the one off the DVD player for now."

10 minutes later, while he's still doing the install, I logged off Monoprice after having bought 2 4' cables for $8.86 delivered.

Sounds like he has a nice little profit-padding operation going on there...

I noticed that the Monoprice website allows you to have your order blind-shipped to your customer - He never sees an invoice that shows how little you actually paid for the cables, and you're free to charge as much for them as you think you can get by with...
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I work at an electronics store and I am the only person who knows that HDMI=digital so quality matters fuck all.  Everyone else refuses to believe me.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Digital doesn't mean magic, guys.  Yes, it's an easier signal to receive, but it can still degrade, particularly over significant distances.

Surely you've all seen what happens when you watch a digital satellite transmission during a rainstorm.  "But it's digital!"  Tell that to the lost pixels.

(That being said, of course, any short HDMI cables should be roughly equivalent; just don't skimp on the 40 yard cable.)
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:06:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Digital doesn't mean magic, guys.  Yes, it's an easier signal to receive, but it can still degrade, particularly over significant distances.

Surely you've all seen what happens when you watch a digital satellite transmission during a rainstorm.  "But it's digital!"  Tell that to the lost pixels.

(That being said, of course, any short HDMI cables should be roughly equivalent; just don't skimp on the 40 yard cable.)

those 0's and 1's dont degrade.

When you see stuff during a rainstorm, it's because some 0's and 1's didn't make it in, ie part of the signal was lost.

So you either get the 0's and 1's or you don't. Analog is much more dependent on signal strenght on getting the data there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 for monoprice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you see stuff during a rainstorm, it's because some 0's and 1's didn't make it in, ie part of the signal was lost.

So you either get the 0's and 1's or you don't. Analog is much more dependent on signal strenght on getting the data there.

ALL signals degrade.  Digital signals are just more tolerant of it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Monoprice was running a sale on 3 footers for $2.43 ea.  I didn't even need any but I thought at that price I'd be foolish not to stock up on a few.  I knew somewhere down the road someone would need one.  Sure enough a buddy needed one for a new hookup and he asked me how much I owed him.  I told him how much it would have cost him at Circuit City...then told him I'd spot him the two and half bucks I spent on the one I gave him.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ALL signals degrade.  Digital signals are just more tolerant of it.

+1 (kind of)  on long runs of HDMI some of the 1s and 0s will get lost, which I would consider a form of the signal degrading.

Try running a hundred feet of HDMI compared to 3' - there will be a difference if the cable is not up to par and no booster is used.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top