Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2008 5:33:47 AM EDT
Preacher either was the assassin/believer or was a assassin/believer type...

Anyone else get this feeling?
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah.

The episode where they go rescue Mal and Wash from Nishka, he cleans up.

That and when he gets medical attention really really quick.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
i think that he is the general that came to serenity valley and turned the tied agents the independence. this is when he found God and when Mel lost God.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I got the vibe he was a former assasin bady to, and I like pearsons theory to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#4]
One day you're gona explain to us how a preacher knows so much about crime.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
For some reason he never struck me as a military man. Can't exactly say why either, but he always seemed to scream "politician" type to me. I know the whole "won't use guns/won't kill" thing points to ex-assassin type....but my gut seemed to go with former council-member type.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i think that he is the general that came to serenity valley and turned the tide against the independence.  this is when he found God and when Mel lost God.

That is such a good theory, and so well summarized, that it actually makes me stop caring what the real story was going to be.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Another of the many fascinating story lines we'll never really know about, thanks to Fox's shortsightedness.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:10:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For some reason he never struck me as a military man. Can't exactly say why either, but he always seemed to scream "politician" type to me. I know the whole "won't use guns/won't kill" thing points to ex-assassin type....but my gut seemed to go with former council-member type.

the assassin is definitely more political than military, no?  

that's why I think it fits.

my really out there theory here is that HE WAS THE assassin in firefly.

time warp thingie

he loses his belief in the greater good of the central system at the end of firefly and to make up for it he becomes a preacher in the outer systems and the kicker is his dying words to mel.....

that was one great motherfugging show/movie.  

wow.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO he was a former intelligence officer
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I am sure most of you know this already but if you go to Hulu you can watch Firefly episodes on demand over your computer.

FWIW it also has cool shows like SWAT, Emergency, Hill Street Blues, Family Guy and a shit ton of others.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am sure most of you know this already but if you go to Hulu you can watch Firefly episodes on demand over your computer.

FWIW it also has cool shows like SWAT, Emergency, Hill Street Blues, Family Guy and a shit ton of others.

boss was away last week, hulu'd the whole series.  hence the question
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
They make a psychiatrist get psychoanalyzed before he can become certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. Does that seem right to you?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They make a psychiatrist get psychoanalyzed before he can become certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. Does that seem right to you?

he's got some good lines.

Can't believe one of the baldwins is actually entertaining.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is not related to the Baldwins your thinking of.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh jeez that is too funny.  

did not know that till right now.

he should sue them for slandering his good name.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And he was GREAT in Full Metal Jacket.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#18]
the first scene he's in in FMJ has some of the greatest lines ever.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
the first scene he's in in FMJ has some of the greatest lines ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=0hBSGEzpw-8

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#20]
my favorite two words in any movie "...with guns!"

genius.

My favorite line in any movie.  His eyebrows MAKE the line, scene and movie for me.

"..... these are great days we're living bros;

We're jolly green giants walking the earth .. with guns."

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

genius.

My favorite line in any movie.  His eyebrows MAKE the line, scene and movie for me.

I say that line frequently and out of the blue.  I have for years.  I can remember saying it on FTXs in Korea, sitting on a truck ready to head out.  Now maybe when we're standing around waiting for a stage to start at a practical competition.  To date everyone just looks at me strange and doesn't get it.

It wasn't Baldwin/Animal Mother that said it though.  It was the Assistant squad leader (I think) when he was showing of the dead VC/NVA guy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Not to Hijack the thread... I always believed he was an ex "operative," in the end of the movie the operative is leaving the government... he is going to replace the preacher he had killed in the whole universal balance of good and evil.

I love that show/movie!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll go with ex operative, but some of these theories are outstanding!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

genius.

I say that line frequently and out of the blue.  I have for years.  I can remember saying it on FTXs in Korea, sitting on a truck ready to head out.  Now maybe when we're standing around waiting for a stage to start at a practical competition.  To date everyone just looks at me strange and doesn't get it.

It wasn't Baldwin/Animal Mother that said it though.  It was the Assistant squad leader (I think) when he was showing of the dead VC/NVA guy.

NOBODY gets it when I say it and its so disappointing cause to me its one of THE greatest deliveries of a line ever. (I know who says it!!!!! )

disclaimer: I've never served though, I just love the line.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not to Hijack the thread... I always believed he was an ex "operative," in the end of the movie the operative is leaving the government... he is going to replace the preacher he had killed in the whole universal balance of good and evil.

I love that show/movie!

that's why I think through some time warp thing he IS the preacher.  Not replace, but IS/BECOMES
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love that show/movie!

that's why I think through some time warp thing he IS the preacher.  Not replace, but IS/BECOMES

So he actually kills himself in his past in the future......to quote Neo..."whoa."  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#27]
its cosmic penance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Jubal Early:  "That's no Shepard."
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#29]
yup.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Jubal Early:  "That's no Shepard."

With everyone saying that it kinda makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll theorize that he is a spy/operative that had a change of heart while on board and gets assassinated in the movie for not doing his job.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#32]
he was killed in the movie just because he helped the crew of serenity.  his town was not the only one destroyed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top