Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2008 6:25:44 PM EDT
Hey, hoping to find some fellow fans here who can steer me to some great stuff for my Blockbuster rental queue.

I recently found Asian horror in a backdoor way.  I was listening to the director's commentary of "Hostel" and Eli Roth was talking about the director Takashi Miike, who has a bit part in "Hostel."  I had seen the name but thought it might have been a misspelling of Mike.  Of course, it was not, and I found out Miike is one of the world's most acclaimed horror directors.  

First I rented "Odishon" which was AWESOME!

The next Miike work in my queue was "46-okunen No Koi" which I also really enjoyed.

I added "Ichi the Killer" to my queue, and meanwhile, I proceeded to Hideo Nakata's "Ringu" trilogy.  WOW!

And now I'm here for guidance.  What makes Asian horror so great? I don't really know. I'm new to this whole shebang.  School me!  I'll try to find some more pics to add too for the enjoyment of this thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
ive only seen ichi the killer, and its pretty wicked.
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm adding another pic of Miike Takashi:

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Here's a pic of that one.

And nope, I don't know why his mouth looks like that -- this is still in my queue and hasn't arrived yet!

C'mon peeps I need more movie suggestions!

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I love Japanese horror movies.

Kôji Shiraishi did Ju-Rei, Carved, Noroi the Curse

Takashi Shimizu did Ju-On which is the far better version of the Grudge and Reincarnation which you can pick up cheap at Best Buy under the "Films to die for" series.

Hideo Nakata who did the Ringu (Ring) series. An earlier not quite as good movie is Ghost Actress.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa did Pulse and less well known Retribution (Sakebi )
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Atencio!  I'll put all those on my list.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Kôji Shiraishi did Ju-Rei, Carved, Noroi the Curse

Takashi Shimizu did Ju-On which is the far better version of the Grudge and Reincarnation which you can pick up cheap at Best Buy under the "Films to die for" series.

Hideo Nakata who did the Ringu (Ring) series. An earlier not quite as good movie is Ghost Actress.

Atencio, I have no idea who you are but YOU ROCK!  I have now seen Takashi Shimizu's Ju-On as well as Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Sakebi.  Wow - Sakebi is so complex in its commentary on social life and alientation in addition to the murder story.  My favorite of all so far is still Miike Takashi's Odishon.  I'm awaiting both Ghost Actress and Pulse in my queue now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I never cared much for Audition. It was a bit too "artsy" for my taste. The rest are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh I forgot to mention that I also watched Kurosawa's Rashomon again from the perspective of horror/suspense and it delivers too!  Imagine when you are watching it a world recovering from the ravages of WWII and questioning what real truth is.  Perhaps that is the underlying message of the competing versions of truth...
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know if this fits the category, because it was just plain bizarre.

Tetsuo

I picked up Audition a couple weeks ago, but haven't watched it yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 4:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Try
OLD BOY
Visitor Q
Neighboor 13
Versus
reimcarnation
The Host
Lady Vengenece
BAttle Royal***
Ghost train

Some other good movies that are not horror are
Azumi
Shogun assaassin
Lone wolf and cub
ALL Zatoichi movies
7 samurai
Yojimbo
Versus  wich is kinda horror

Battle royal is fuckin awesome. Its about a class of Japanese hill school kids who are forced to kill eacjh other off untill there is only one left on an island, my fav!! Ill go to my old Netflix list  and give you some more in a bit
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, Shawnmt, thanks for these recs!  I can't find all of them in Blockbuster, possibly due to spelling differences, but I'm adding as many as I can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 9:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try
OLD BOY
Visitor Q
Neighboor 13
Versus
reimcarnation
The Host
Lady Vengenece
BAttle Royal***
Ghost train

Some other good movies that are not horror are
Azumi
Shogun assaassin
Lone wolf and cub
ALL Zatoichi movies
7 samurai
Yojimbo
Versus  wich is kinda horror

Battle royal is fuckin awesome. Its about a class of Japanese hill school kids who are forced to kill eacjh other off untill there is only one left on an island, my fav!! Ill go to my old Netflix list  and give you some more in a bit

Don't bother with Versus. Horrible "movie".

Hanzo the Razor is a must own.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The Eye
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Ringu kinda sucked.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Wow, Shawnmt, thanks for these recs!  I can't find all of them in Blockbuster, possibly due to spelling differences, but I'm adding as many as I can.

I get mine from netflix. If you are on there, join as my friend and you can view all my selections I got a one month free coupon around here somewhere....

ok here are some more

Shutter
Machinegirl
Norikos dinner table
Battle royale 2
Tales of terror from tokyo Vol 1 2  3
Dorm
Infection
Suicide club
jigoku
Full Metal Yakuza
Well there I have seen a lot more to. IM me if you need more. Not all are horror but are really good. Make sure you guys see the battle royal movies
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow your list has so many great tips!

I am on Bbuster not netflix, or I'd add you ASAP to pick your brain.

Thanks and rock on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone seen Nightmare Detective?

www.imdb.com/title/tt0852726/
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd209/MarthaStewart67/ichi.jpg

Here's a pic of that one.

And nope, I don't know why his mouth looks like that -- this is still in my queue and hasn't arrived yet!

C'mon peeps I need more movie suggestions!

His mouth is held together with safety pins.. takes them out and his mouth is twice as wide.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

OK, I just finished Pulse.  (I saw Retribution a few weeks ago.)  I really liked Pulse although I think Retribution is more artistic.

For anyone still reading this thread... am I correct to pick up on the theme of alienation in their modern culture?  Their natural hesitation, detachment or inability to connect to other people even while in a crowded country?  Among other messages, Pulse certainly seemed to be expressing a social commentary on online users (ahead of its time).
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
yeah you are right on the money. let me know if you want a free month of netflix. or if you like Anime. that is my true love!! besides AR15s
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I just saw "Janghwa, Hongryeon" tonight ("A Tale of Two Sisters") and it was great!!  Looking back at this thread, I don't know how this ended up on my queue because it wasn't on the other lists posted here.  Director is Kim Ji-Woon.  The story was chilling and surprising. I recommend this one if you liked "Sakebi" for example.
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I haven't -- should I?  Director is Tsukamoto Shinya and I have some of his other stuff in my queue.  "Marebi" for example (haven't watched it yet).
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't -- should I?  Director is Tsukamoto Shinya and I have some of his other stuff in my queue.  "Marebi" for example (haven't watched it yet).

I haven't seen it, I was just wondering because it's on my cable's video on demand list.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Might need to check these out.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Just watched one called  Throne Of Blood. its pretty good to. You miught want to check it out.  be sure to watch The machine Girl if you havent yet. I mean...a gilr with a mini gun for an arm!!! whats not to like?!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
. You miught want to check it out.  be sure to watch The machine Girl if you havent yet. I mean...a gilr with a mini gun for an arm!!! whats not to like?!

oh I gotta see that
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. You miught want to check it out.  be sure to watch The machine Girl if you havent yet. I mean...a gilr with a mini gun for an arm!!! whats not to like?!

oh I gotta see that

It doesn't seem to exist at Blockbuster. I looked under Machine Girl and Kataude mashin gâru and Noboru Iguchi and nothing is there.  

Now I'm just gonna be wanting a minigun for an arm.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh I gotta see that

It doesn't seem to exist at Blockbuster. I looked under Machine Girl and Kataude mashin gâru and Noboru Iguchi and nothing is there.  

I checked netflix and they have it, but I don't have netfix
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh I gotta see that

I checked netflix and they have it, but I don't have netfix

I saw it at Best Buy tonight for 12.99
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:53:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just watched one called  Throne Of Blood. its pretty good to.

You mean Akira Kurosawa's "Throne of blood"? It's not meant to be a horror movie, it's Shakespear's MacBeth in a Japanese setting (Kurosawa also did Shakespear's King Lear as "Ran"). The scene with the arrows near the end of Throne of Blood is somewhat legendary.

This would also be the same Akira Kurosawa who's movie "The Hidden Fortress" influenced George Lucas when he was writing the script for the original Star Wars movie (Lucas said so himself).

Kurosawa's Seven Samurai was remade as the western "The Magnificent Seven", and his movies Yojimbo and Sanjuro inspired the westerns "A fist full of dollars" and "A few dollars more".
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#31]
try The Machine girl thats the full title. it is a real gorefest!! One of the bloodiest things I have seen in a long time
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:00:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm reviving this thread to post about Shutter.  The original in 2004 was Thai, and set in Japan.  The remake in 2008 was American, and still set in Japan.  I'm going to recommend both movies.  The original was terrifying but the remake was surprisingly good too.  There were some additional themes in the American version that I found quite decent, and I'm surprised it was universally hated. It's much better than other American remakes such as Grudge.  The plot turns out differently so I won't post spoilers on either one.

Link Posted: 8/5/2008 9:39:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll dig up some titles I liked as soon as I can scan through my movie files. In the mean time, there's a good movie called "The Premonition". Not sure if it qualifies as a horror movie or not, but it's about a newspaper in Japan that tells who's gonna die next. I thought it was worth a watch. Had that Grudge feeling to it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#34]
I finally saw "ichi the killer".  Not a horror movie by any means but pretty weird overall. The DVD came in a bag of plasma. Pain in the ass to get it out. The DVD stuck to the plastic.

I really had to screw around a lot with my T.V. to get the way too numerous dark scenes to show up well.

The movie itself was weird and seemed to be full of holes. I will probably watch it again and see if it makes more sense.  Not as entertaining as the "Machine Girl"

Next I want to find is the Korean version of "Mirrors"  Geoul sokeuro
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#35]
tag a scrib

thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top