Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 10:33:38 PM EDT
not pointing any fingers here... just making and observation about a few of my friends.

they tend to dwell and nit-pick on every single little pointless detail.

I watch movies for one reason:  entertainment.
If it entertains me, I'll watch it.  If not, the power button is pretty easy to find.
I don't take movies very seriously because they are made to entertain us.  It's impossible for them to be 100% correct on every tiny detail.  besides, if they were, many of our favorite chase scenes and shootouts wouldn't exist.  (anyone shot a propane tank before?)

So quit nit-picking like a whiny bitch and enjoy the damn movie.  You're ruining it for every one else.

anyone else feel the same way?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#1]
God yes.

Steven Spielberg would leave this forum depressed and contemplating a new career.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree to a point.  Where I differ is when a movie makes claims to be hsitorically accurate and proceeds to bear little resemblance to what happened.  But thats just one of my pet peeves
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:43:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That depends on what kind of nit picking is being done. And some movies have higher goals than just entertainment.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The best way I can illustrate it is with TV shows.  I can watch a cop show like Law & Order and enjoy it despite technical issues because the focus of the show is on the interaction of characters.  I cannot watch any of the CSI shows though because they go out of their way to be technical and then fuck it all up.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Some people like Taco Bell,

Others think life is too short to eat crappy food. That doesn't mean you have to stop eating that junk. If you dont laike a review of a good restaurant, dont read it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Some people like Taco Bell,

Others think life is too short to eat crappy food. That doesn't mean you have to stop eating that junk. If you dont laike a review of a good restaurant, dont read it.

I'm not really referring to written reviews.
I'm talking about the people who tell me a movie was not worth watching because of some pointless details.

300 is the perfect example:  tons of people were bitching because the costumes weren't historically accurate, and the fighting style and weapons were wrong.
the movie was based on a comic book.  it's not supposed to be historically accurate.
Watch it for it's entertainment value.  If you (not you Spyda) don't think it was worth watching because they didn't use their shields properly, I think you missed the point of the movie.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I agree, the movies are nothing more than the cartoons we enjoyed as kids.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I take it you guys aren't Star Wars fans.

I'll bet you could describe in the most minute little detail everything there is to know about Red Dawn, though.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, then I agree with you completely jrucker.

I re-watched some Red Dwarf episodes lately and was amazed at what I saw in them as a kid. But the classic sketches by Monty Python and Fawlty Towers are still very funny stuff.

Just as TV is dumbed down with reality shows, movies have fallen into a rut. The racks at video stores are almost half filled with cheaply made horror films. The rest seem filled with re-makes not up the the quality of the original, and films based on comic books. A good comic can teach a filmmaker a lot about dramatic angles and story telling, but it seems they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel now.

The Coens are gifted filmmakers. Perhaps my enjoyment of their earlier films makes me yern for more perfect movies like Miller's Crossing. We can't all like the same stuff.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Red Dawn episodes?

As I recall red dawn was a movie...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#11]
D'Oh!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
not pointing any fingers here... just making and observation about a few of my friends.

they tend to dwell and nit-pick on every single little pointless detail.

I watch movies for one reason:  entertainment.
If it entertains me, I'll watch it.  If not, the power button is pretty easy to find.
I don't take movies very seriously because they are made to entertain us.  It's impossible for them to be 100% correct on every tiny detail.  besides, if they were, many of our favorite chase scenes and shootouts wouldn't exist.  (anyone shot a propane tank before?)

So quit nit-picking like a whiny bitch and enjoy the damn movie.  You're ruining it for every one else.

Wow, people like you really do exist
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top