Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2007 5:01:29 AM EDT
If you have seen this movie, you'll understand. It's a funny movie, but also thought-provoking, in that I see this as almost natural progression, fictionally, of course. Who's to say it's impossible, though. It seems the more we advance, the farther our chances at achieving greatness/advancing into the future. Anyone else here feel that the lowest common denominator is the pusher of the agenda nowadays? We've gone from stopping natural selection, to, it seems, reversing it..... where weakness and unnatural behavior is celebrated.
Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I know people who have similar thoughts.

-xmac
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I watched this movie and it would have made a nice skit. But after an hour and a half I wanted to turn it off. You could feel the storyline being stretch to fill the time. Not the way to make a good movie.

It's like, well, all of the SNL-based movies. Funny concepts, horrible movies.

Would I recommend it? No, just read the synopsis on IMDB.com, chuckle and go watch something else.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the above poster, this would have made a great 15-30min twilight zone-esque short film.  1.5hrs of it was way too much.  

Definitely a cautionary tale, but not a good movie.

x156
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was funny. I know some people who would fit right in with the idiots in the movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Mike Judge is a damn funny guy. King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows and Office Space one of my favorite movies. But yes, like others have already said, it was a funny idea, an actual 1.5 hr movie was almost unbearable. The introduction to the movie was great, but kinda dropped off from there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
True, it was dragged out a bit, but I liked it.

Sad though, if you really think about it, what they said is actually happening!

~John
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I like money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:35:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like money.

you too? we should hang out
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
"Welcome to Costco.  I love you."
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Judging from the mindless TV programming that we've been offered lately ( The simple life, Girls next door, Jackass), I don't see it as being far fetched that the #1 show in America will eventually be "OW, My Balls!"

"Water? You mean like, from the toilet?"
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#10]
"It has electrolytes."
"Because it has electrolytes."
"..from the toilet?"
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you have seen this movie, you'll understand. It's a funny movie, but also thought-provoking, in that I see this as almost natural progression, fictionally, of course. Who's to say it's impossible, though. It seems the more we advance, the farther our chances at achieving greatness/advancing into the future. Anyone else here feel that the lowest common denominator is the pusher of the agenda nowadays? We've gone from stopping natural selection, to, it seems, reversing it..... where weakness and unnatural behavior is celebrated.
Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but I know people who have similar thoughts.

-xmac

Sure.  Survival of the unfittest.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#12]
A deeply flawed plot, but I still enjoyed it.  

I have a lot of those WTF moments with stupid people.

If you have 1 bucket that hold 7 gallons of water, and one bucket that holds 5 gallons of water, how many buckets do you have?

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#13]
the movie, itself, could be better, but the social ideas are what hooked me. All they did was a straight time progression of current events and attitudes. Also, studies have shown a predisposition of lower IQ's and obesity being traits that formerly weren't being reproduced (children, of course) on a scale that they now are. On one hand there's Joe-Bob who has been married 3 times and has 2 kids per wife, versus Joe of above-average intelligence who marries for life and has 1 or 2 kids. Force of numbers comes into play as we play havoc with selection and promote reproduction in those that can't even take care of their own..... wow, thank goodness for the welfare state, lol.

-xmac
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Accomplishment, wealth, and social status used to be positively correlated with reproductive success.  They are now rather strongly negatively correlated, all of which would indicate
A:  That collectively, we will be getting dumber.
B:  Even smart people aren't that smart, or they wouldn't have created a society that quite literally fails to reproduce itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top